April 25, 2024, 05:12:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cadmium from Ni-Cd batteries  (Read 3253 times)

Offline sslaptnhablhat

• Mole Snacks: +2/-6
Cadmium from Ni-Cd batteries
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
I have an absolute ton of Ni-Cd batteries somewhere, and I want to extract the Cadmium metal from them. Because all the info I could find on the disassembly of Ni-Cd batteries is sketchy, I have no idea if I should expect Nickel Hydroxide, Cadmium Hydroxide or their metallic forms. Simply, does anyone have any info on the disassembly Ni-Cd batteries?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Cadmium from Ni-Cd batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
Any ideas about regulations in your area? Ni and Cd are heavy metals, recycling them probably requires a license.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
Aww... I used to play with just this sort of thing when I was a kid.  Yes, you'll find that Wikipedia has just the info you need.  Cadmium and nickel plated on iron gauze in a steel container with KOH electrolyte.  I was trying to dissolve the whole thing in hardware store hydrochloric acid, and then selectively precipitate.  Good times.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

• Mole Snacks: +2/-6
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
Any ideas about regulations in your area? Ni and Cd are heavy metals, recycling them probably requires a license.
I'm from the UK (South Wales specifically), and I know the regulations in South Wales are, for the most part, the same as assumedly the rest of England, although it'd be worth to check anyway.
Aww... I used to play with just this sort of thing when I was a kid.  Yes, you'll find that Wikipedia has just the info you need.  Cadmium and nickel plated on iron gauze in a steel container with KOH electrolyte.  I was trying to dissolve the whole thing in hardware store hydrochloric acid, and then selectively precipitate.  Good times.
I've always wondered if said gauze was Nickel, Cadmium, both or neither, so thanks for the info.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
Actually, its nickel oxide, contained in porous steel tubes.  Its a good system designed to handle multiple discharge/recharge cycles.  Go ahead and draw the reactions.  You'll want to know what compounds will be there when you try to get at them.  For example, discharged or fully charged?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links