April 25, 2024, 03:09:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Staining cellulose fibers..  (Read 2543 times)

Bach

Staining cellulose fibers..
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:02:57 PM »
Ive been experimenting with staining cellulose fiber which has been de-lignified and bleached through a hydrogen peroxide reaction, a raw paper product from a lumber mill.

I want to bring it back to a natural "wood" color. Problem is, only certain compounds will successfully permanently stain the fibers, and other attempts with food coloring do not stain the material at all, and will wash out just about 100%.

Turmeric, the  yellow spice successfully stains the material very well but it is a highlighter shade of yellow - not what im going for.

I have a coffee / caramel colored amber food coloring that is the perfect color but it does not stain, it washes right out 100%

attempting with coffee brew resulted in a mild permanent stain, almost right, but it would cost too much money to use coffee to stain large amounts of material.

Turmeric is fat soluble if im not mistaken.. however it appears water soluble when i use it.

The food coloring is supposedly of oil base.. but it washes right out.

Coffee, oils and water solubles at the same time? if im not mistaken, its the melanoidin that is staining the cellulose, and most of the "other" brown pigment coloring is washed away.

Wondering if anyone might have a better idea

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Staining cellulose fibers..
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
You should look into the online patent literature for dye staining, or find a textbook at your local library/university. The chemistry of dye staining is a huge area, with tons of useful innovations that I'm sure can help you.

Sponsored Links