March 28, 2024, 09:04:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Europium Acetate Hydrate  (Read 2930 times)

Offline gh_park

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Europium Acetate Hydrate
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Hi all,

First of all, I'm a mechanical engineer who doesn't have a lot of knowledge in chemistry....

I'm trying to replicate some of the results from a journal paper. I'm just following what's written in the material section and came up with the question below.

One of the ingredient I have to use is Europium Acetate Tetrahydrate (based on the material section).
However, from all the vendors I went through, they only sell Europium Acetate hydrate (Eu(CH3COO)*xH2O), not Europium Acetate tetrahydrate (Eu(CH3COO)*4H2O).
How would I know what the x in xH2O is? and how would I make sure that it is 4H2O?

Or would it not matter in most case? (thinking that one of the other ingredient is water?)

Thanks a lot, in advance.

Best,
Geehoon

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Europium Acetate Hydrate
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
Hrm ... a thorny problem.  A quick search leads me to believe most vendors are selling it as x H2O.  I can't quickly find an online reference for the tetrahydrate.  If you want, you could give us the title of the reference you have -- maybe your reference is too obscure, or its authors are incorrect in the name they've given it.

With an unknown amount of water bound to the crystal, its not going to be accurate to weigh out an amount of powder, and say there's this much europium or acetate in it.  You'll have to explain you application better for us so we can see if we can help.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Europium Acetate Hydrate
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
Maybe heat the hell out of it and see what the weight difference is? You will lose both hydrate and acetate and get the oxide, but that should still allow you to determine what the "x hydrate" is since you know how much acetate there is.

https://www.americanelements.com/europium-iii-acetate-hydrate-62667-64-5

"Europium(III) Acetate Hydrate is a moderately water soluble crystalline Europium source that decomposes to Europium oxide on heating. "

Sponsored Links