April 24, 2024, 09:13:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help me. Finding Reactants/Reactions  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Vargulf

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Please help me. Finding Reactants/Reactions
« on: August 31, 2017, 04:24:11 PM »
I'm stuck with this task. Would someone please help me. I tried to figure this out for days, but I couldn't solve it. I would be very very grateful if someone could help me.
Thank you
Two salts form together a compound (K1-A2). It has the solubility of 18,1g/100ml water (0°C) 26,7g/100ml water (20°C) 60,1g/100ml water (100°C)

The salt K2-A2 has the solubility of 62,1g/100ml water (0°C), 64,4g/100ml water (20°C) and 80,7g/100ml water (100°C).

The salt K1-A1 has the solubility of 22,9g/100ml water (0°C), 27,3g/100ml water (20°C) and 43,2g/100ml water (100°C). The Beilstein test is positive (contains halides).

(The salt K2-A1 includes Natrium and has the solubility of 26,3g/100ml water (0°C), 26,4g/100ml water (20°C) and 28,1g/100ml water (100°C).)

The product (K1-A2) (E) decomposes in a solid (F) (which is very colorful and insoluble in acids, bases and water) and two gases (G and H).

The new product F react (while glowing) with Potassium hydoxide on the air. The new product (I) is a very soluble compound.

This new product (I) react in a nitric solution to:

1)      with Hg2 2+ ions and with presence of sodium acetate to a orange substance which changes the color to red when heated (thermochromic compound)
2)      When given to hydrogen sulfide it forms a precipitate
3)      When given to potassium iodide the solution changes its color to brown

I forms with hydrogen peroxide and with potasium hydrogen solution besides oxygen and water a red brown compound J.

PS: I think the termochromic compound is tetraiodomercurate silver (Ag2(HgI4)).

Could you please help me finding those variables (E, F, G, H, I, J) and the reactions 1 to 3. I would be very grateful for your help

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Please help me. Finding Reactants/Reactions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Per forum rules you should show your effort before getting help, but I can give you small hints.

Have you tried consulting solubility tables?

You guess termochromic compound identity - can you trace back the cation?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Vargulf

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
My only idea is that it may be Ammonium dichromate((NH4)2Cr2O7). It decomposes at around 180°C to Chromium(III)oxide, Nitrogen and water.
I would say I could use sodium chromate and Ammoniumchlorid if I use an acedic acid buffer.
With this reaction I'm not really coming further than to the half, that's why I think it's a false substance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
My only idea is that it may be Ammonium dichromate((NH4)2Cr2O7).

You have several salts, which one do you refer to now?

What does your notation mean - is K1-A2 salt made of first cation and second anion? That would mean there are two cations and two anions, not that many, taking into account fact you are given identity of one of the cations. That, combined with the solubility table already allowed me to check whether your idea (about the anion being dichromate) sounds plausible.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
You were directed by Borek: to the Forum Rules{click}. You already accepted them when you signed up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.

What we want to see is some effort from you, and some small amount of help from us where you're stuck.  You only need help with one thing ... in 12 parts of 2.  That's like asking 20 or more separate questions.

Presumably, the purpose of this question is to test your problem solving skills.  Because, like you say, this question is so needlessly complicated as to be almost made up.

Two salts form together a compound (K1-A2). It has the solubility of 18,1g/100ml water (0°C) 26,7g/100ml water (20°C) 60,1g/100ml water (100°C)

The salt K2-A2 has the solubility of 62,1g/100ml water (0°C), 64,4g/100ml water (20°C) and 80,7g/100ml water (100°C).

The salt K1-A1 has the solubility of 22,9g/100ml water (0°C), 27,3g/100ml water (20°C) and 43,2g/100ml water (100°C). The Beilstein test is positive (contains halides).

(The salt K2-A1 includes Natrium and has the solubility of 26,3g/100ml water (0°C), 26,4g/100ml water (20°C) and 28,1g/100ml water (100°C).)

OK.  You have to look these up in a table of sorts.  There's no possible way for us to "help" with this.  You can do it, or we can do it for you and tell you.  You also have two trivial tests.  Include their results in a table.

The product (K1-A2) (E) decomposes in a solid (F) (which is very colorful and insoluble in acids, bases and water) and two gases (G and H).

OK.  I suspect this is a poor translation.  But what is "very colorful" meant to mean?  If this isn't a poor translation, this is useless information for us to help with.

The new product F react (while glowing) with Potassium hydoxide on the air. The new product (I) is a very soluble compound.

Likewise a poor translation, I hope.  Again, if not, not clear enough for us to help.

As Borek: said, try to trace back from what you know, to show what you can figure out.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links