April 19, 2024, 01:49:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inorganic Lab Question  (Read 3647 times)

Offline maxcai6179

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Inorganic Lab Question
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
No clue at all, I do not know where to start. Please, *delete me*!

1. Why is it not possible to resolve Co(en)3 2+?
2. In the preparation of  Co(en)3 3+, what is the purpose of NaOH?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Inorganic Lab Question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Greetings, maxcai6179:, I'd like to welcome you and all the new students to the Chemical Forums.  But I'd like to as you to trouble yourself to read our Forum Rules{click}. You already accepted them when you signed up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them. 

We want to see your work, and then, we want to give you hints, so that you learn for yourself.   Unfortunately, you have provided us with no context at all for your question.  There's no way to solve it, as written.  For example, 'Co' is listed in the periodic table for the element Cobalt.  That's international shorthand all chemists understand.  The '(en)' can mean anything.  The word 'resolve'  is likewise jargon for your application.  And we have no idea what steps came before or after the NaOH addition.

Why not try to summarize you application and tasks, and see if you maybe even solve it for your self?  Or at least get closer than -- "No clue at all, I do not know where to start. Please, *delete me*!"
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »
What classical 1st row TM cmplxs are kinetically inert?

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:20:24 PM »
Only Cr(III) d^3 and Co(III) low spin d^6 are nonlabile in aqueous solns (M(III) cmplxs with maximum CFSE): they don't immediately lose their (monodentate) ligands when dissolved in water.  Can you come up with an explanation of why pure Λ or pure Δ-[Coen3]^2+ racimizes without loss of an en ligand??

Sponsored Links