April 23, 2024, 06:14:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Strong Oxidation of Carbon-Carbon Double Bond  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Melon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Strong Oxidation of Carbon-Carbon Double Bond
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
Hello everyone, recently under the Chapter of Alkenes, I've learnt that upon strong oxidation of C=C bond with hot,acidic KMnO4, the terminal carbon bonded by a C=C bond will be oxidised into carbonic acid, and the final oxidised product will be CO2 and H2O.

Though I understand that H2CO3 can dissociate, I was just wondering how is it possible for a slightly soluble product like H2CO3(aq) to form a gaseous CO2?

Thank you very much!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Strong Oxidation of Carbon-Carbon Double Bond
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
Did you try writing a balanced equation?

Offline Melon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:03 AM »
Did you try writing a balanced equation?

When I researched, I found out that carbonic acid dissociates to give H+ ions and HCO3- ions.
I consulted my tutor regarding this problem today, and she just mentioned that because of the heating, some of the carbonic acid would just be unable to remain in the solution and become carbon dioxide, but I'm still abit unconvinced by this explanation...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
Dissolution of CO2 is an equilibrium process, every solution of H2CO3 is in an equilibrium with gaseous CO2, this is GenChem101.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
There's a lot here, but its all over the place.  Let's try to work through it all.

First off, you've posted in High School Chemistry, but some concepts are more advanced, but you seem to missing some basics.  Which is fine, we're glad to help anyone, but having to reteach you the basics, while covering the advanced, is more work for us.

This title has almost no bearing at all one the question setup or content.  So.  Again.  Not a problem, really.  But still, extra work.

Hello everyone, recently under the Chapter of Alkenes, I've learnt that upon strong oxidation of C=C bond with hot,acidic KMnO4, the terminal carbon bonded by a C=C bond will be oxidised into carbonic acid, and the final oxidised product will be CO2 and H2O.

OK.  That's a good reaction to learn.  There's also this one:

Na2CO3 + 2 H+  :rarrow: 2 Na+ + H2CO3  :requil: CO2 + H2O +2 Na+

So we could have just worked with that reaction, given the next questions you ask.

Though I understand that H2CO3 can dissociate,

Yes it can:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid#Acidity_of_carbonic_acid

That reference introduces a number of concepts you're ignoring.  The pKa is low, and is also affected by pressure and temperature.  Also, dissociation of carbonic acid give H+, not the CO2 plus water.  Just letting you know we're getting muddled with the definitions here.

I was just wondering how is it possible for a slightly soluble product like H2CO3(aq) to form a gaseous CO2?

This is a decomposition reaction.  Some things decompose.  Some things, called acids, dissociate into H+.  And some ionic salts dissociate into ions, in water.  And some do more than one, at once, or so rapidly we only see one.  You can ask again, if this bit is still confusing, but I don't know how to say that clearer.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Chetan Bhandari

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
Its correct that C=C on strong oxidation gives out CO2 through a intermediate as carbonic acid.
This is how its formed:
C=C when subjected to strong oxidizing agents in presence of water-
           C=C + H20 :rarrow: H2C03
Since it is sparingly soluble in water, it will be in equilibrium as
          H2C03  ::equil:: H2O(l) + CO2(g)
When enough heat is achieved, CO2 escapes as gas to atmosphere.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 06:31:13 AM »
Though I understand that H2CO3 can dissociate, I was just wondering how is it possible for a slightly soluble product like H2CO3(aq) to form a gaseous CO2?

Thank you very much!
Do you know that when CO2 gas is dissolved in water ,carbonic acid is formed?
  H2O(l) + CO2(g) ::equil::   H2CO3

Sponsored Links