March 28, 2024, 06:19:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Temperature dependence of Gaseous diffusion and effusion  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Viktor2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Temperature dependence of Gaseous diffusion and effusion
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
As per the expression of rate of effusion, it is proportional to pressure but at the same time inversely proportional to square root of temperature. Can we say that as a combination, it will be directly proportional to square root of temperature?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Temperature dependence of Gaseous diffusion and effusion
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:56:04 AM »
No, because temperature and pressure can be separately varied.
Consider the gas equation P = nRT/V. Under what conditions will the rate of effusion be proportional to sqrt(T)?

Offline Viktor2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
You want to say that changing temperature may not affect pressure, I think that for the constant volume it does, the expression of rate of diffusion has proportionality of P/sqrt(T) ... Can you explain that what can we say about effect of temperature on rate of effusion or diffusion?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:36 AM »
If you're talking about a fixed amount of gas in a constant volume, then yes, pressure is proportional to temperature. Note that the condition for this is that n/V is constant, not simply V. If you just added more gas to the volume, so that you doubled the pressure without changing the temperature, the rate of effusion would change though T doesn't.
But I was talking (as I assumed you were) about the general case, where P, V and T are not specified. In that case you can't simply say effusion is proportional to sqrt(T); you have to state the dependences on P and T explicitly.

Sponsored Links