I'm working on a method of ammonia extraction from a cleaning solution. The only listed ingredients for the cleaner were "ammonium hydroxide" and "surfactant", this is the most specific information on the product I could find as an MSDS sheet was surprisingly nowhere to be found even on the company website.
From my own research I've made up a setup for extracting ammonia https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3lmcYL898TkZDdBZ01CZlVvblE
Before setting this up I ran a small test to see if the surfactant would interfere with the extraction, the long and short of that being simply "no" as while it does foam a bit it would not cause a problem in a sufficiently large flask. However, there was something that I ran into during this test that stopped me in my tracks, the vinyl tubing I used for the test turned a sort of light yellow as well and became somewhat soft as it heated up. The tubing I used was recycled from a past experiment where I used it to carry chlorine. This discoloration I'm fairly certain is caused due to the vinyl tubing being a polymer plastic and the reactivity surrounding the C=C double bond with the NH3
passing through reacting somewhat.
My concern is over how the tubing will fare in these conditions over the course of the extraction which I plan to let run for several hours at a time. I have not locked down a precise temperature yet but it appears that I won't need or want the temperature to rise above 100C in the boiling flask.