Chemical Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored links

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do I get? when burn powder of seashell in stove top coil  (Read 119 times)

xzli

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0

I want to get small amount of Calcium Hydroxide 20g or so.   

I had burnt powder of seashell in stove top coil for several minutes,  what I got is white color powder.  I suspect if it is CaO.  The stuff looks like  don't react with water, not stick enough after mixing with water, not hardness enough after the mixture dry.

I check handbook, the calcium carbonate  decompose temperature is around 825.  I don't know if my stovetop coil have enough heat to decompose the seashell.  I guess the coil is around 700 to 800 c  degree, because it easily melt the aluminum foil.

Burner

• Mole Snacks: +14/-1
  • Chem-is-try

I had burnt powder of seashell in stove top coil for several minutes,  what I got is white color powder.  I suspect if it is CaO.  The stuff looks like  don't react with water, not stick enough after mixing with water, not hardness enough after the mixture dry.

CaO(quicklime) reacts with water to form calcium hydroxide(slaked lime). You may have got other products if you can't observe anything after adding water to it.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:12:50 PM by billnotgatez »
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Mitch Andre Garcia's Chemical Forums 2003-Present.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.