April 20, 2024, 03:05:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Any recommendable books/papers about Peptide Synthesis Basics for non-chemists?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline riboswitch

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • Molecular Biology Student
I'm a Biology student and I currently can't find any book about the basics of peptide synthesis. Specifically, I'm looking for some books or articles that talk about not only the mechanisms behind the peptide synthesis itself (Boc and Fmoc), but also the standard protecting groups for the lateral functional groups in amino acid residues, the properties of the resin material and swelling, the purification and analysis of peptide synthesis products (maybe using CD spectroscopy?).

Can anyone help me with this?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
It might help if you explained what your application was.

Offline riboswitch

It might help if you explained what your application was.

I only need a general and introductory material about peptide synthesis, preferably a book that is at the same time as complete as possible like in the case of "Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry" in the field of Biochemistry or the book "Molecular Biology of the Cell" in the case of Molecular Biology. Of course I doubt there are books out there about Peptide Synthesis published for Biology/Molecular Biology Students so as an alternative I can also use introductory articles or other non-textbook materials that might help me with my studies.

If by "application" you mean biological applications, then my answer would be something like "antimicrobial" or "peptide-based biosensors".

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
I meant are you trying to learn about the principles, or are you trying to perform a synthesis. There are many books, for example:  https://www.amazon.com/Peptide-Synthesis-Oxford-Chemistry-Primers/dp/0199257388, however I don't have one in particular to recommend.

Offline riboswitch

Thanks for the suggestion (although I'm afraid I can't buy it before the exam). I appreciate the *delete me*

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
I went to PubMed and limited my search to review articles that were free.  That produced a nice list.

Sponsored Links