March 28, 2024, 05:34:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Biology/Chemistry (Check my answer, please?)  (Read 8474 times)

Offline hypervalent_iodine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-1
Re: Biology/Chemistry (Check my answer, please?)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:43 AM »
I'm not sure that that makes sense to me?

The functional group that the peptide bond is a part of has an actual name. I'm talking about the RCONHR' part of the molecule (the carbonyl bonded to the nitrogen).

Offline Jones

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 03:03:05 AM »
So there's a carboxylic, carbonyl and ammonia group?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »
The -CONH- part is a functional group as a whole (and has a specific name).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

• Chemist
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:08 AM »
So there's a carboxylic, carbonyl and ammonia group?

As Borek has said, the whole thing is a functional group with its own name. Perhaps look up the names and structures of carboxylic acid derivatives.

Also, as an aside, carbonyl groups are typically considered features of larger functional groups (ketones, aldehydes, etc). As well, ammonia is not a functional group, but a compound - NH3. This would be a type of amine, which is the name for the functional group.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
The other problem is one I mentioned previously, that you have written the wrong abbreviation for this particular dipeptide.  Ala is the three letter abbreviation for the amino acid alanine.  Is there an alanine residue in your product?

Offline Jones

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »
As Borek has said, the whole thing is a functional group with its own name. Perhaps look up the names and structures of carboxylic acid derivatives.
Would it be Acetamide?

Also, as an aside, carbonyl groups are typically considered features of larger functional groups (ketones, aldehydes, etc). As well, ammonia is not a functional group, but a compound - NH3. This would be a type of amine, which is the name for the functional group.

So the functional groups are: amine, Carboxylic, Carbonyl (Aldehyde), and acetamide?

The other problem is one I mentioned previously, that you have written the wrong abbreviation for this particular dipeptide.  Ala is the three letter abbreviation for the amino acid alanine.  Is there an alanine residue in your product?

No, there isn't any residue of alanine-would it be accurate, then, to say that the abbreviation is Glycl-Valine?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:38:35 AM by Borek »

• Chemist
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 01:25:43 AM »
No. As I said in my last post, carbonyl is not really a functional group on its own. It's a feature of other functional groups. You also do not have an acetamide. You are very close, though. Where did you get aldehyde from? Are you actually looking at the structures of these functional groups and comparing with your structure?

You do also need to review three letter abbreviations for amino acids.

Offline Jones

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:32 AM »
No. As I said in my last post, carbonyl is not really a functional group on its own. It's a feature of other functional groups. You also do not have an acetamide. You are very close, though. Where did you get aldehyde from? Are you actually looking at the structures of these functional groups and comparing with your structure?

Is it acetic acid, the other functional group for amide? I got the Aldehyde from the COOH, but that's carboxylic acid-isn't it? And yes, I am looking at both the chart for the functional group as well as my diagram and comparing them. I guess that there isn't a carbonyl group (aldehyde or ketone) because the C=O is a part of the peptide bond (or amide group)? So, there's a carboxylic acid, acetic acid and amine group? The abbreviation for valine is Val, and Gly for Glycine, therefore the name is Gly-Val?

• Chemist
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 05:37:07 AM »

Is it acetic acid, the other functional group for amide? I got the Aldehyde from the COOH, but that's carboxylic acid-isn't it? And yes, I am looking at both the chart for the functional group as well as my diagram and comparing them. I guess that there isn't a carbonyl group (aldehyde or ketone) because the C=O is a part of the peptide bond (or amide group)? So, there's a carboxylic acid, acetic acid and amine group? The abbreviation for valine is Val, and Gly for Glycine, therefore the name is Gly-Val?

Once again, acetic acid is its own compound. COOH is a carboxylic acid.

I mentioned way back that the functional group is the one containing the peptide bond. I believe I have also said that it has a carbonyl. There are several functional groups that contain carbonyls - ketones, aldehydes, carboxylic acids, esters, to name a few. I suggest you reread the post I've quoted here of yours - you have mentioned the functional group in this post and not realised it. I further recommend you go over functional groups, what they are and how they look. You seem to be missing a lot of fundamental knowledge in this department.

Offline Jones

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:46 AM »
Amide is the functional group formed by the peptide bond (CONH). 

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »

No, there isn't any residue of alanine-would it be accurate, then, to say that the abbreviation is Glycl-Valine?
The full name would be glycyl-valine, but the three-letter abbreviations are more frequently used.

• Chemist
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Amide is the functional group formed by the peptide bond (CONH). 

Correct.

Offline Jones

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
So the functional groups are amine, carboxylic acid, and amide?

Sponsored Links