April 24, 2024, 08:38:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acetone/nitrocellulose  (Read 8782 times)

Offline xxMIKExx

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acetone/nitrocellulose
« on: June 14, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
Hello, I am new here at this forum and this is my first post.  I searched everywhere for a method of extracting acetone out of nail polish remover and could not find an answer.  I am unable to buy acetone from the store and this is my only option. Is there any way to make or extract acetone? I need it to make nitrocellulose by dissolving pieces of ping popingalls into it. And finally do i need to extract the acetone from nail polish remover or can i use it as it is (is it mostly acetone).

Thanks in advance,
Mike
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:01:26 AM by xxMIKExx »

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: Acetone/nitrocellulose
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:36:02 AM »
I think that a lot of nail polish remover, these days, is actually ethyl acetate, not acetone.
I don't paint my nails much, so I don't really know for sure.   ;)

I can find acetone at the hardware store around here.  (Austin TX).

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »
If by unable to buy at the store, you mean that you can't find it, then look in a hardware store around the paints. Acetone is sold as a paint thinner. Some nail polishes (fewer and fewer now) are just watered down acetone. If the acetone is just watered down, then you could try distillation. Check wikipedia for boiling point of acetone. I'm sure it's well below that of water. Remember if you do try to distill it, acetone is VERY FLAMABLE. I burnt some arm hairs of with it once.

What ingredients are in the nail polish remover other than acetone?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline xxMIKExx

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:45:13 PM »
YES!!!!! thank you constant thinker brilliant idea!
http://files.irt.drexel.edu/courseweb/ScienceInMotion/newmanual/exp16.pdf

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 03:39:10 PM »
The flash point is -20°C, and it boils at around 55°C. You run a big risk of it igniting. If you really want to try this out, I would take safety precautions for fire. Acetone also evaporates at room temperature. I would do this in a well ventilated area where you don't run the risk of burning anything down and/or killing yourself.

Your best off if you somehow find a way (like a friend) to get it from the hardware store in the paint section. Best part about buying it there is it comes pure (atleast from what I've seen).

Best of luck in obtaining the acetone.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:56:37 PM »
What are the ingredients?

If it's just acetone and an ester, you may be able to purify it a different way. Keyword there is may. If it's just acetone and a fragrance (which may or may not be an ester), you may actually be fine to carry out your experiment without purification at all.

Sponsored Links