March 28, 2024, 11:31:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrochemical Cell  (Read 2977 times)

Offline kmcclenn

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrochemical Cell
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
 In an electrochemical cell with aluminum, Copper and a hydrochloric acid solution, what are the specific chemical reactions? I know that hydrogen gas is produced, but what is the substance that is plated on the copper?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrochemical Cell
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:50:33 AM »
Please read the forum rules.

Have you checked reduction potentials?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »
Is there a reaction between components without an electrochemical cell?  If so, your answer will now be muddied by the completing reaction.

When describing an electrochemical cell, you have to specify which is the anode and cathode, or else you've described nothing at all.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kmcclenn

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
Copper is the anode, and aluminum is the cathode.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »
Good work.  Now.  Can you write redox half-reactions, using the electrons, for each electrode.  Also, are you aware of reactions that happen without added electrons, between electrode materials and the electrolyte of choice?  Don't ignore that.

I hope you don't mind my answering your questions, with other questions.  But that's what we do here.  We try to help you help yourself.  Its part of the Forum Rules{click}. You already accepted them when you signed up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  Some of our newest members seem to have missed that point.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kmcclenn

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »
When you put plain copper into plain hydrochloric acid, nothing happens. Aluminum reacts with hydrochloric acid, it produces aluminum chloride and hydrogen gas. For the electrochemical cell, the two half reactions are (I think):
2H+ + 2e- = H2
2Cl- + 2H2O + Cu+2 = 2H2 + CuCl2O2

Then, the copper gets more negative and the aluminum gets more positive so the electrons flow from the copper to the aluminum.
Is this all that happens?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
Hydrochloric acid corrodes aluminium without any current, so I wonder if such a cell is any feasible, and whether one has ever worked.
There are presently attempts to develop aluminium batteries, but using other electrolytes.

Sponsored Links