April 18, 2024, 02:30:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction of citric acid and rust.  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Correctorhun

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction of citric acid and rust.
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »
Hello!

I need a detailed explanation of why i would use citric acid to remove rust instead of other, for this purpose useless, chemicals.

I've been searching the internet for a while, and found some things about bidentane complexes, and completely different, weird equasions with CO in them, which I found strange and were incorrect.

Could someone explain the exact chemical process of the citric acid-rust reaction?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Reaction of citric acid and rust.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »
Do I you understand what a metal complex is? Chelate complex?

Are you sure equations you have seen were about CO (carbon monoxide) and not about carbonyl group being part of a larger molecule?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:25:27 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Correctorhun

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »
The things i saw weren't based on actual chemistry, I just wanted to illustrate it with some examples.

The CO thing is not anything like that for sure, it was on a non chemistry-centered forum, and people were like "omg, will I die from that CO?"
It was incorrect, as everything got oxidized, there was not a single atom of reduction.

I know the basics of metal complexes. However, i still couldnt find anything useful describing what is actually happening.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
Do terms like bidentate or tridentate mean anything to you?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
Greetings, Correctorhun:, I'd like to welcome you and all the new chemists to the Chemical Forums.  But I'd like to ask you to trouble yourself to read our Forum Rules{click}. You already accepted them when you signed up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them. 

Our rules specify that we want to see your work, and then, we want to give you hints, so that you learn for yourself.  It doesn't matter if you're a new student, or a dedicated amateur, we need to know what you know, and what you think, so we know what level you're at, so we can give useful hints, so your knowledge can grow.   

Let's go through what you've given us, to see what we can learn:

Hello!

I need a detailed explanation of why i would use citric acid to remove rust

Maybe what you'd like if a chemical equation, for that, we'd need the chemical formulas of each.  That's lots of work, we'll get to it as we go along.  However, ...

instead of other, for this purpose useless, chemicals.

That ... that's something of a meaningless statement.  Put together with the other one, it invalidates the whole statement.  Many things will remove rust.  Other commercial products don't use citric acid, they're not useless.  High density plasma will remove rust, and the underlying metal too -- is that something useless?  Soaking in water won't remove rust, but a forceful jet will remove rust as well as scraping the surface physically.  What is your "useless, chemicals" meant to cover or not cover?

I've been searching the internet for a while, and found some things about bidentane complexes

Oh, good information, can you supply some of the context?

and completely different, weird equations with CO in them,

the context in this case might also be useful.

which I found strange and were incorrect.

... annnnd, again, you make pretty a dogmatic statement for someone who hopes to learn.  How do you know these statements are incorrect?  Everything in the previous statement was incorrect?  I was liking where your research was going, and then you put a -- comma -- awful after it.

Could someone explain the exact chemical process of the citric acid-rust reaction?

Yeah, I still think we're going to get you where you need.  Let's start with the formulas for rust and citric acid.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:06:01 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links