April 20, 2024, 08:28:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What does the term "purge" mean, when we are speaking of the extraction process?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline LiOH

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, guys. 
I'm a chemistry graduate, but not a native English speaker. Now I am reading a book, where I met with the next sentence: "The acetylene PURGE from the butadiene extraction unit contains a significant amount of butadiene". The process of the butadiene extraction is not clarified in the book and I can find no other source,which might enlighten me as to the subject. Could you please explain the meaning of the word "purge" in regard to this sentence? I can't exactly grasp it myself. Thank you.

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
it means degassed such as nitrogen bubbled through the solution it to remove the acetylene.

Offline LiOH

How can we suppress acetylenes' purge?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
Here is a short excerpt from the article:
"Expensive towers must be then used to meet polymer-grade specifications. Such columns are often bottlenecks in extraction processes. In some modern extraction processes, operators have increased overall butadiene recovery by suppressing the acetylenes' purge, which contains butadiene"

How that can be done? What is it, suppressing a purge? Thank you.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: How can we suppress acetylenes' purge?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »
By "omitting the removing of the acetylene's fraction" and thus, the remaining little amount of acetylene participates in the further butadiene polymerization.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:56:57 AM by pgk »

Offline LiOH

Re: How can we suppress acetylenes' purge?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
By "omitting the removing of the acetylene's fraction" and thus, the remaining little amount of acetylene participates in the further butadiene polymerization.

Thank you very much, friend

Offline LiOH

it means degassed such as nitrogen bubbled through the solution it to remove the acetylene.

Thank you!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Hi there, LiOH:, I've gone and merged your two very similar topics into one thread.  Hopefully, you can combine what you've heard so far and help with both questions.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links