March 28, 2024, 05:26:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: {glassware} Identification  (Read 6056 times)

Offline joepav84

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
{glassware} Identification
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
I recently acquired this kit from my great aunt when she passed away. My attempts to identify what it is and what it is used for have failed. I have found numerous charts identifying parts but not the whole. Most of it is all one piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:25:44 PM by Arkcon »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
Well the tall cylinder is a graduated cylinder, and the round thing is a round bottom flask. Easy ones out of the way.

The other one appears to be a very highly specialized piece of distillation equipment. It is a quite bizarre one. It was probably built to do one specific reaction. Something this unique is almost a treasure in itself. It looks very difficult to make. Did your Aunt work in a field that might give us a hint?

If someone on this forum can't ID it precisely, give the chemistry subreddit a shot.

Offline joepav84

Re: {glassware} Identification
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »
She actually owned an antique shop and they had a personal love for oriental things. These are made in china so i am guessing thats why she kept them. She definitely had no background in anything related to chemistry. I found it in a closet and even though i dont know anything about it i thought it was amazing and very complex. I appreciate the reply!

Offline joepav84

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
I found a couple images of a Kjeldahl Apparatus that seem to be similar but not nearly as complex as this one. Maybe thats what it is?

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
looks like it could have been used for some kind of gas phase reaction, could you post some closer photos?

Sponsored Links