March 28, 2024, 01:28:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding rate law between blueberry solution and bleach (sodium hypochlorite)  (Read 1769 times)

Offline dhkstyle

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello!! I'm doing a chemistry assessment (aka chem IA for the IB program) that requires me to research a question of my choice. I decided to find out the rate law between blueberry dye (anthocyanin) and bleach. Currently, I am done with data collection.
I first found out that the blueberry solution has three peaks at three wavelengths. I used these wavelengths to measured the change in absorbance over time as I inserted bleach into the dye.
To find the rate law, I wanted to look at the initial rates at different concentrations. My data, however, is very messy. Thus, when I compare the values, I think bleach is zero order and blueberry solution is second order. But when I graphed my data using the integrated rate law, I did not get a straight line.
I am not sure what to do now. Is my research invalid? what more can I do to verify the rate law? Also, due to lack of time, I could not separate the the solution into different anthocyanins. Could this be a huge problem?
Lastly, what could be the reaction equation between anthocyanin and sodium hypochlorite? and how do I explain the mechanism(?) or the scientific idea behind this reaction?

Sorry for asking so much.. Thank you!!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Well, lets work with your data, in tabular form, or share with us an image of your graph.  I'm a little bit confused, however.  You looked at three wavelengths, that's certainly interesting, and could be a good way to understand the reaction as it progresses.  However, I hope you have many points of intensity for the same wavelength, if you want to determine rate.  So lets see that sort of data.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links