April 16, 2024, 03:20:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction question  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Bakterien

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Extraction question
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
According to the article I'm reading I should "extract the product from the water phase continuously for 24 h with diethyl ether".

How do I practically do it ? Soxhlet or simply stirring it for 24 h ?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Extraction question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Stirring might work, soxhlet wont work because when the aparatuss is filled then both ether and water would flow down. Also, since they are inmisscible you wont get any extraction. I used this contraption for similar problem:

https://imgur.com/hxzBkV6

basicaly,
1) you put ether into flask,
2) put addition funnel on top of the flask,
3) close the stopcock
4) add aq. solution of your compound into the addition funnel so that the top is slightly bellow the side tube (you can layer it with ether optionaly)
5) connect with condenser (you need dimroth condenser for this where the cooling media flows insude the spiral) that has glass capilary tube connected to the bottom tip of the spiral, you need to have it connected in a way that the capilary has same heigh above the surface of solution otherwise you wont get any flow through it. (glass pasteour pipettes work best for this
6) reflux

Whats gonna happen is that the ether will condense in the condenser and flow through the capillary at the bottom of the aq. layer and then will rise up, extracting your compound. When the layer of ether is big enough, ether will overflow and fall down in the flask.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
I saved the kriggy image to here for posterity rather than leave it to an external link

Offline Bakterien

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »
Looks genius ! Thanks

Sponsored Links