April 18, 2024, 06:33:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have a question about how atoms do merge together  (Read 2880 times)

coringa21

I have a question about how atoms do merge together
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
Hi folks, i have a question in chemistry, i'm not working in this field,  but i'm just curious:

1- everything we see around ourselves are made by hydrogen atoms recombined, right

2- If you merge together for example, two drops of water, you will still have only water

Given 1 and 2 propositions, so then how can 1 hydrogen atom merge with another hydrogen and create helium, or another type of matter?

Shoudn't it just create a bigger hydrogen atom? How can combining 2 things that are the same thing, create another new one, i don't understand it

thanks for answering

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: I have a question about how atoms do merge together
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »
1- everything we see around ourselves are made by hydrogen atoms recombined, right

No.

More precisely: looks to me like you are confusing chemical reactions (in which different elements and compounds react producing compounds) and nuclear reactions (in which new elements are created during fusion and/or nuclear fission). The difference is: chemical reactions occur around us all the time, whole life is based on chemical reactions. Nuclear reactions require much higher energies and occur (especially fusion, in which new elements can be produced from hydrogen) mainly in stars. We don't observe fusion around us on Earth at all.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
Hi folks, i have a question in chemistry, i'm not working in this field,  but i'm just curious:

No problem, we're here to help people learn.

1- everything we see around ourselves are made

The start of this question isn't clear -- everything can mean many different things.

by hydrogen atoms recombined, right

No.  That's not true.  Unless you mean in a very odd sense.  With some qualifiers you could claim that statement makes sense (i.e. nuclear chemistry in a supernova,) but you'd be stretching the definitions.

2- If you merge together for example, two drops of water, you will still have only water

Sure.  Atoms and sub-atomic particles don't follow the same rules.  That don't have to, no matter how many times you say "Right?", right?

Given 1 and 2 propositions, so then how can 1 hydrogen atom merge with another hydrogen and create helium, or another type of matter?

Atomic synthesis.

Shoudn't it just create a bigger hydrogen atom?

Sure.  A bigger atom, made of sub-atomic particles, is a helium atom, or other heavier atoms.  A stack of bricks, isn't called a bigger brick, we call it a building.  That's an imperfect analogy, but you might use it to get over your confusion.

How can combining 2 things that are the same thing, create another new one, i don't understand it

It happens at other times.  Look for examples.

thanks for answering

Glad to help.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

coringa21

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
so your analogy is to compare

brick= hydrogen

building = helium

that seems nice, but can you create a building with only 2 bricks? because that's the case here, something that turns
in another thing only doubling 2 identical things, i still don't understand, can you elaborate more? thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:41:22 PM »
It may not be a prefect analogy, but you're going out of your way to make random points.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

coringa21

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
thanks for answering, that's all very complicated, because it's very hard to find a good analogy. Thanks anyway

Sponsored Links