April 19, 2024, 03:35:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carbon Dioxide pH Control  (Read 2441 times)

Offline dynamictiger

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Carbon Dioxide pH Control
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:15 AM »
I will apologise if I have this in the incorrect forum up front.  I am not a college graduate, undergraduate or chemical engineer. 

I am struggling with something though, and I think this is the appropriate place to get some insight.

I work in the swimming pool industry and have for a few years now (since 1986).  In some of the pools I manage carbon dioxide has been installed as pH correction.

For a few years the conventional wisdom has been carbon dioxide gas injection into water at ambient temperatures in a swimming pool environment with a pH of around 7.5 forms more bicarbonate ions than it destroys. 

I cant see this.  I have been reading a few more academic papers and they are all implying the reaction at pH 7.0 is completely neutral and shouldn't be much more in the pH range of a typical pool.

Overlaying my limited knowledge on these articles I am asking is the CO2 making the bicarbonate reaction correct or is it the hydroxide reaction from the (typically) sodium hypochlorite which is driving the TA higher?

I have had some success with reducing CO2 consumption by increasing calcium hardness and reducing total alkalinity, however I am now thinking I may inject a small amount of acid when the controller calls for chlorine.

Very interested to hear what others with way more knowledge than me have to say.

Thanks

Sponsored Links