April 25, 2024, 04:36:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Help with Sodium Acetate  (Read 2696 times)

Offline AlfredoB

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need Help with Sodium Acetate
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »
 Hello everyone,new on this forum.Just created an account because I'm trying to instill my 10 year old daughter with a love for science.To this purpose every birthday we do some basic science experiments and she loves them. For this year I wanted to recreate some of those insta ice Ive seen around with sodium acetate. I bought from Amazon some of it,it came in a powdered form and I have no idea how to make it work,how to make the insta ice from or anything else. Bear in mind I have no training in Chemistry beyond basic high school(which was 30 years ago),so even though I find this experiments terribly interesting and understand the basic science behind it,everything else is beyond me.
  So any help you can give me will be much appreciated,the label on the 1kg container I ordered reads:
C2H3NaO2 - 82,03 g/mol
Assay.min 98.0%
pH(5% 20 oC) 7.5 - 9.5

Please keep in mind mi chemistry illiteracy if you decide to help,I barely remember what mol meant...
Best regards everyone.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Need Help with Sodium Acetate
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I think it that getting a super saturate is key...  here is a 'how to make' site....  maybe it will help. Have fun.

https://www.sciencecompany.com/How-To-Make-Instant-Hot-Ice.aspx
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline AlfredoB

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Need Help with Sodium Acetate
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:57:05 AM »
 Thanks a lot,looks exactly what I was looking for!

Sponsored Links