April 20, 2024, 09:58:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Le Chatelier- Van 't Hoff  (Read 1908 times)

Offline OMGtheykilledKenny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Le Chatelier- Van 't Hoff
« on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »
We had to examine the following equation for school Fe3+ + NSC-  ::equil:: FeNSC2+   all dissolved in H2O

After adding warmth and FeCl3 it became dark red, After adding only warmth it became light yellow 'cause the left side is the endothermic side, why does it change with FeCl3?
I thought because Fe2O3 was formed but i am not sure if that reaction is endothermic and i read it doesn't dissolve in water but we didn't see any sediment so that doesn't seem right. maybe Fe(OH)3? But that's yellow. I don't see an answer and gettig crazy of al the stuff i read on the internet  :-[ Could anyone please help me?

excuse my bad english, it's not my native language xx

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Le Chatelier- Van 't Hoff
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
its the equilibrium between iron and thiocyanate. Nothing to do with ironoxide or hydroxide.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
If it's was only the equilibrium between iron and thiocyanate, it would turn lighter after warming up.
My question is why it turns darker with warming up after adding iron(III)cloride.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
Please elaborate on the experiment you did, at the moment we have to guess what was the procedure and what your observations were.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
Of course, excuse me, we had de equilibrium of [Fe][/3+] + SCN-  ::equil:: [FeSCN][/2+] dissolved in H2O given. We knew that with warming up the equilibrium shifts to the left side, so the solution ( in H2O) turns lighter.
The experiment we had to do showed that if we first added FeCl to the solution and than warmed up again, the equilibrium shifts to the right side, because the solution turned dark red.
The equilibrium dissolved in H2O without any adittions or warmth is normal red. none time in the complete experiment there was sediment.

I have to explain why the equilibrium shifts to the right side suddenly with warming up, after adding HCl. but I don't find an explanation.

Sponsored Links