April 20, 2024, 11:23:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cant seem to find analytical methods used in any industry  (Read 2985 times)

Offline pericothebig

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cant seem to find analytical methods used in any industry
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:32:39 AM »
So my analytical chemistry professor has made us do a monograph on the analytical techniques used in any kind of industry. This would seem easy enough, right ? Except it is not, all of the information I get about industrial processes do describe the flowchart and elaboration of the desired product but no mention of analytical methods in them (for quality control, for instance).

For example, there is plenty of information about the Kraft process for the elaboration of paper and pulp or the float glass process for the elaboration of glass but I cant find any kind of analytical method used in them to say, test if you have obtained the correct chemical at a certain point of the process or the efficiency of the reaction so I was wondering if there was any book or something where I can find this information.

Any help is aprecciated. Thanks

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Cant seem to find analytical methods used in any industry
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:55:20 AM »
Try typing "Analytical methods used in...."    into google... the auto fill will give you a list of different industries.  Click on a few different ones. There are a lot of methods listed.

You will have to read some of the pages that the google auto fill directs you too...  there will be no magic list that just answers your question.

on the first page, without even following the links, I saw mention of HPLC, Mass Spec, Spectrometry.  Read around a bit - the info is there.

Starter:  first page regarding Fuel industry: - look at the key words.

ANALYTICAL METHODS USED IN THE PRODUCTION AND FUEL QUALITY ASSESSMENT OF BIODIESEL

Keywords:

. Biodiesel, Chromatographic methods, Fiber–optic probe, Fuel quality, Gas chromatography, Gel permeationchromatography, High–performance liquid chromatography, Mass spectrometry, Near–infrared spectroscopy, Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, Physical properties, Spectroscopic methods, Transesterification, Viscometry.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:13 AM »
Or type "indust" in this forum.  You can use Advanced Search functions to limit the search to only this Analytical Chemistry sub-forum.  People have asked specific questions, on industry analytics, right here, and pretty often.

Maybe you limited yourself to the production of paper or glass for some reason, but are those the only things you can think of that are made by industry?   Why not medicine, or food?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
If you have access, you may check out the ASTM or ISO standard methods, which are used frequently in industrial and government testing labs.
E.g.,
https://www.astm.org/Standards/analytical-chemistry-standards.html
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links