April 24, 2024, 12:22:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Grade 10 Chemistry Open Test Question  (Read 1798 times)

Offline lmessi781

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Grade 10 Chemistry Open Test Question
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:31:51 PM »
Below is a test I will be given on Friday with only 1 question. Although I understand most of the material, I haven't written these types of ambiguous tests well in the past. The teacher claims that I either write too little or too much. Could you help me create an outline of what I should write?

For your chemistry test, you will randomly be given ONE of the following chemical reactions.
- Calcium is added to a solution of sulfuric acid.

- Sodium carbonate is heated.

- Zinc burning.

- Potassium is placed in water.

Using this reaction demonstrate your understanding of:

- Naming and writing chemical formulas

-Balancing chemical reactions

-Types of chemical reactions

-Atomic structure and the periodic table

-Properties of compounds (e.g. ionic, molecular, acids, bases)

Hints:
Approach this task as if you were explaining to a friend who has not taken gr 10 chemistry yet.
Start by changing the words for the compounds into formulas then write a word equation. Once you have the formulae for the compounds, write the chemical equation. Be sure to balance!
Identify the type of chemical reaction. Justify (explain how you know - could a diagram help your explanation?).
Does the reaction involve:
Elements? What do you know about the element and it’s atomic structure? Could a diagram help make your explanation be more thorough?
Compounds? Are the compounds ionic or molecular? Could diagrams help explain the bonding type? What does the type of bonding tell you about the properties of the compounds? Explain.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Grade 10 Chemistry Open Test Question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
Hi there, lmessi781:, I'd like to welcome you to the Chemical Forums, I can see you're new here, but I want to ask you to review our Forum Rules{click}.  You already accepted the rules when you signed up for our forum, and you have to follow them, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.

We want to see you do some work, on your own, and we'll help.  We don't dump complete answers, for anyone, not for a high school student, nor a hard-working professional, nor even the home chemist working on their newest invention.

You've either asked 5 times 3 separate questions (5 questions for 3 reactions) and want use to do them all for you, or you've asked one -- what outline to write.  The answer in the second case is simple -- you've been given an outline of tasks: write out each reaction as a chemical formula, etc.  If you can do that, you can do it a second time during your examination.  If you don't, then you won't be able to.  Doesn't get more clear than that.  There's no part of it that you can skip, there's no trick to avoid any step, but to do it all.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lmessi781

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
Hi Arkcon,

I thought I made it clear enough that I was asking number 2: For you to recommend how I should write my outline. Nowhere in that post did I ask anyone to do "all 5 reactions for me". As for the forum's rules, I don't believe that I broke any. I asked the forum for recommendations on HOW I should write the test, and I claimed that I had already understood the material. If you need proof that I've already done my research, I'll be happy to send you my study notes.

Frankly Arkcon, I thought you could have been more welcoming and helpful. My understanding is that moderators are there to maintain order; not to go on passive-aggressive power trips.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:14 PM »
You are already given a pretty specific outline of the information you be expected to include in your answer, so it's not really clear what you are looking for.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links