April 20, 2024, 01:01:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodine Clock Rate of Reaction Experiment  (Read 1453 times)

Offline ahmed.es.eg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Iodine Clock Rate of Reaction Experiment
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
Hello, so to make things as short as possible, in class I did 9 different trials of the Iodine clock reaction by starting off with 10mL of [IO3] solution then going down 1mL but adding 1mL of water each time (basically to dilute the solution).

In the lab report I am supposed to write up, my teacher provides us with a list of elementary steps but she labels two of them as the slowest. This is the first thing that confuses me, two rate determining steps?

The second this is, how would I find the "k" constant (Initially, I got 16, but it didn't work with any other trial but the first), and especially, how would I find the order of the reactants using the graphs I created? I created 3 graphs. One comparing time to concentration, One comparing the inverse of time to concentration, and one comparing time to temperature. I tried using the inverse of time graph as I know rate is "s^-1" but couldn't come up with an order for the reactant. I know that the [HSO3-] is zero-order as that is given to us.

Any help is appreciated, thank you so much.

Sponsored Links