March 29, 2024, 09:09:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Using beta glucosidase to hydrolyse terpene bound hydrocarbons from hops in beer  (Read 4279 times)

Offline KLITE

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all

A quick disclaimer, my knowlege of chemistry is somewhat basic and mostly self taught resulting from a quest to make the hops come out as much as naturally possible in a beer.

From my understanding this enzyme not only helps breaking down glucosides but also somewhat enhances the yeasts biotransformation of different essential oils.

this is is the information of the enzyme i can acquire:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/49290?lang=es&region=ES&cm_sp=Insite-_-recent_fixed-_-recent5-4

I can understand the concept of enzymatic activity and how its measurement is numerated. However i dont really have an idea how to calculate what a good concentration would be for using in a high gravity wort, and how resistant it can be to alcohols (including some fusels) and esters (a tone of those).
Can anyone help with usage amounts, even if ballpark?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
I can only give you a brief and general answer now, but I may be able to return to this question later.  It sounds as if you need to know two things.  One is how good a substrate for beta-glucosidase the compound in question is.  Two is how stable beta-glucosidase is under the conditions of your experiment.  My general answer is that if neither question has been studied before, you would have to determine this information for yourself.

Offline KLITE

I can only give you a brief and general answer now, but I may be able to return to this question later.  It sounds as if you need to know two things.  One is how good a substrate for beta-glucosidase the compound in question is.  Two is how stable beta-glucosidase is under the conditions of your experiment.  My general answer is that if neither question has been studied before, you would have to determine this information for yourself.

I know that brettanomyces produce higher leves than saccharomyces to of this enzyme, wheareas the latter produces higher alpha glucosidase (which from literature acts very similarly to maltase). So i suppose one could expect an exogenous implement to no do too badly.
In terms of substrate im trying to find analitycal evidence of the weight glycoconjugated compounds in hops, but i suppose that would be very different from strain to strain and method of cultivation. Though from literature plants of this family are fairly rich in such compounds on the plant matter, not on the plant oils, those are mainly acids and oxigenated and not hydrocarbons.

Just as im typing this i found this:

http://youngscientistssymposium.org/YSS2016/pdf/Kirkpatrick.pdf

they claim to have gone at 1000ppm but give no specification of the enzymatic activity. Moreover 1000ppm sounds crazy hih to me, they claim its a mix of pectinase and b glucosidase. That would mean 1gram per liter or am i mistaken? Even if the enzymatic activity was low that sounds like overpitching enzyme to me. I cant find much information on that hoptimase product.
I know a brewery that pitches pectinase at 2mg per liter so.... But till im sure there has to be a way to find a precise pitch rate?

Offline KLITE

topic has moved sections, anyone care to chime in?

Sponsored Links