March 28, 2024, 02:58:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In need of certificate of analysis for product development  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Chrisunplugged

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In need of certificate of analysis for product development
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am a small buisness owner who has hit a road block.  I have developed a product  (cosmetic - skin and hair topical application) And have been perusing Amazon as a medium to sell.  Amazon has informed me that I require a certificate of analysis to proceed with their fulfilment by Amazon service.  

Where the problem starts is when I reach out to anyone to help me with this I get a usual reply of "you get the cert from the manufacturer."  True.  Except this is a mom and pop buisness.  I lack the operational status and equipment to do this on my own.  

I'm seeking a third party to provide me with the analysis and certificate in order to move forward.  Does anyone know of a company or institution that can provide this service? I've found one company that said they would do it for $10,000.  That seems to be a big exaggerated of a price considering I spoke to a faculty member of the eastern Michigan university chem department and she said I should spend no more than $500-$600 for what I require.  

Any thoughts?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: In need of certificate of analysis for product development
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
A CoA can measure many, many things. Do you have any idea what the certificate needs to say you analyzed? Perhaps look at the CoA of some of your competitors to get an idea.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: In need of certificate of analysis for product development
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
OK.  Let's try this.  What is your product made of?  Any of a number of the ingredients, bought in bulk, will come with a CofA. 

What does your product do?  How does it do that?  And are you sure it does that?  For example, if the pH is too low or too high, it won't work, or might even hurt people.  What pH range do you expect works?  What is the pH of each batch you want to sell?  How much water is in it?  How much solids?

What does it look like, freshly prepared?  What does it look like, when not kept properly, and spoiled?   Say its white, maybe a little cream-colored.  Your CofA specification is then " White to off White buff color.  If they open the drum, and its green, they know, "Uh...we gotta send this back."
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links