March 28, 2024, 04:50:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Really quick question PLEASE HELP SIMPLE, but honestly i've looked everywhere  (Read 1395 times)

Offline joeyb649

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can the Triiodide Ion have resonance, that's it? My teacher has us draw Lewis structures in a weird way in which we count valence electrons, draw skeleton structure, then use deficits to tell whether to impart a bond. I Have found so sites that say it does and it then it doesn't PLEASE help it is on a test. I believed...

"Thanks this is one I believe she is toting in class I believe she just teaches it as if it is in period 3 or higher then it can have an expanded octet, so therefore resonance is no problem with a structure that has 3 lone pairs. I'm assuming if she asks for resonance she isn't looking for me to say "no resonance" and I looked through my notes it is just the criteria that qualifies it as a resonance; I think she picked it as  you can create soooo many resonance structures by removing any lone pair on the the terminal atoms, obviously they cant be changed from the central atom as that would change it's molecular geometry. However, I am with you I haven't seen it with a double bond I am assuming that is because halides would technically only want to make one bond althought it is still possible, I hope she isn't that mean, and when I draw the resonance structure with a double bond she doesn't mark me wrong."

Sponsored Links