March 28, 2024, 09:54:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Conversion to salt  (Read 1862 times)

Offline xyz133

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Conversion to salt
« on: December 18, 2017, 05:55:04 AM »
I am trying to convert benzimidazole derivate (base) to citrate. The benzimidazole is practically insoluble in water however I noticed the formation of salt when I macerate the mixture of citric acid and benzimidazole. The mixture I used was 1:1 mass ratio which resulted in final product that was part salt and part citric acid. What would be the correct procedure to obtain benzimidazol citrate (no excess base or acid)? I guess I should use molar ratio instead. But then again – citric acid contains 3 COOH groups, is the salt formation possible on all three of them? How important are steric effects here? Thanks for all the answers.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Conversion to salt
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
What about doing it in organic solvent ? Wikipedia says citric acid is actually soluble in a bunch of organic solvents (alcohols, ethyl acetate, ETHER?!). How about dissolving it 1:1 in ethyl acetate or ether and the salt you want may crash right out.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
To clarify, probably a 1:1 ratio by moles rather than by mass might be better.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »
Good catch sjb. Yes, clearly do it by molar ratio, mass is a useless way to do a ratio when talking about any chemical reaction.

PS: I noticed also that citric acid has decent solubility in dioxane (34g/100 mL, so that is an option, and indicates THF probably works too.

Sponsored Links