April 20, 2024, 07:19:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Periodic Table  (Read 1886 times)

Offline dn54321

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Periodic Table
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »
I'm not sure if this is in the right section as I've just recently finished highschool, However, I always wondered how scientist were able to measure the atomic number and molecular mass of elements and tabulate it into the periodic table. How were scientist able to measure just how many protons/neutrons were in each element? A great in-depth explanation will help me alot. ^o^

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Periodic Table
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:28:42 AM »
Initially they didn't measure numbers of protons and neutrons, just compared number of moles with mass. Such measurements are relative, that is, they required to define one of the elements (or better: isotopes) as a reference. At present the reference is C12.

ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
A key step was Henry Moseley's measurement of characteristic X-ray lines of the elements, and the discovery that the energies varied as the square of "position in the periodic table", thus establishing a physical (as distinct from merely book-keeping) basis for the concept of atomic number:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moseley%27s_law

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Compared electrostatic and electromagnetic deflections measure the q/m of ions. Once you know or define q (and have guessed the ionization number), you deduce m.

Sponsored Links