April 26, 2024, 05:37:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What to do with carbon dioxide  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Fojaxx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What to do with carbon dioxide
« on: December 19, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »
Hey, so i brew my own wine. Right now im brewing 40l of it. Anyone who knows brewing also knows that a terrific ammount of co2 is created by the process. I happen to be a very industrious and practical person, so all of the pure co2 in high concentrations just blowing away in the proverbial breeze seems like a great waste to me.

Anyone know of any practical/cool/interesting uses for co2? Im willing to react it with other  chemicals to get something usefull, as long as its not a difficult/expecive reaction. For instance i know i could bubble it through some water and get carbonic acid, but i  ant find any practical uses for the acid except perhaps to react it with a base to get some salts. I know i can also decompose co2 into carbon and oxygen but i dont know how (electrolysis?).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What to do with carbon dioxide
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
A number of greenhouse applications, with or without hydroponics, like to mention the boost to production, if CO2 can be enriched in the local environment.  This assumes the plants have abundant sunlight.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: What to do with carbon dioxide
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »
CO2 has about zero commercial value (a small negative value, through emission bonds) as undesired by-product of so many processes.

Separating into C and O2 needs an energy amount more costly than the bonds market value.

Neutralize acid soils? Recently a Chilean asked how to do after big forest fires.

Make Champagne wine? You just have to call it differently, like sparkling wine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_wine_production

Sponsored Links