April 26, 2024, 04:19:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Liquid odor Adsorbant  (Read 2959 times)

Offline charushi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Liquid odor Adsorbant
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
Hi,
Does anyone know a liquid odour adsorbant? I'm looking for something to be sprayed on a feminine hygiene article. It should have the below properties
1, Should be white or a light color
2, should not be anti bacterial
3, should not have an odor
4, should not be skin irritant
There are solid adsorbants like Zeolite but I'm looking for a liquid.
I'm looking for a bulk supplier of the said adsorbant.
Thank you

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Liquid odor Adsorbant
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Sorry - do you want a material that absorbs liquids and odours or a liquid that absorbs odours?

If the former then there are a range of Sodium Poly Acrylates which can be made into fibres or a material that absorbs about 20 times it's own mass in water. I think most sanitary products are made with this added these days although I am not sure.

Sorry - just re-read and it DOES say that you want a liquid in your post...  not an absorber of liquids. Although - the SAP (Super Absorbing Polymers) that makes the towel should soak up all the liquid and thus hold in more of the odour.

Let us know if you find your liquid please - I'd be interested to see what you use. Thanks.

PS - Does it have to absorb the odour?  Can't a perfumed liquid be used to mask it?

P.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline charushi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:10:39 AM »
Thank you for the reply. Yes. I'm looking for an adsorbent (not absorbent) for odors (http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-adsorption-and-absorption). We do have SAPs for absorption of liquids but they don't sufficiently trap the odor molecules.   
Yes, scent masking agents are there but we market our product as a non-scented product so it's not an option.
So we're looking for an adsorbing agent that comes in liquid form as a liquid form is more compatible with the process.
Thanks again

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:27:17 AM »
OK - I am sorry I can't help you. I guess you want something like a chelating agent but for organic molecules. I do not know of any off the top of my head I am afraid....  and I wouldn't like to prescribe something that irritates!  :-)

It wouldn't need to be a liquid  -  just soluble in whatever is being absorbed into the SAP, maybe.

Good luck with your search.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
What do they use in cat litters? Cat urine stinks on the floor, in litter it doesn't smell.

I suppose the difficulty arises because the target smells can consist of many very different molecules which aren't known. If you can tell better what groups and functions (amines, aldehydes...) the target molecules carry, maybe people here will have more ideas. Or maybe the best action is to kill a specific bacteria that produces the smell?

Sponsored Links