April 19, 2024, 08:39:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Catalytic Reforming  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Blank

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Catalytic Reforming
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »
Hi. I am a new member here from Philippines. I am really, really shy about asking things here because I am afraid I may look like I do not know anything but I am way desperate and I have been searching and searching for Journals and articles regarding Catalytic Reforming but alas to my luck, I got nothing. It would be very nice of you if you could help me a bit. thank you so much. so here it goes and sorry for asking if it may look like dumb but i will appreciate it.

I am actually looking for a set of reactions that is happening during the Naphtha Catalytic Process. So I have this article entitled "Dynamic modeling and simulation of a naphtha catalytic reforming reactor". fortunately,  I found the reactions I needed, per Process. there goes separate reactions under Hydrocyclization and Hydrocracking and so on and so forth. there goes 1 problem: all of the reactions are set in a form of Paraffins and Naphthenes. I searched what each of it means, and I found out that Paraffins are those in a form of CnH2n+2 while Naphthenes are CnH2n. So there solved my first problem.
another problem is the fact that,say for a P6 compound, different chemicals can be possible, base on our aspen hysys set of formula. you can get:2,3-dimethylbutane/2-methylpentane/3-methylpentane/hexane.

now, my question is, how can you identify which is which in a certain process?
say under the hydrocyclization process you got p6 yielding N6.
but p6 has 2,3-dimethylbutane/2-methylpentane/3-methylpentane/hexane.

Please help me. and i do apologize for sudden   questions. I have been searching for different journals but I cant really find anything.
thank you very much.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Catalytic Reforming
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »
Hi Blank, welcome here!

Descriptions of the processes in a refinery don't tell more precisely what molecules are involved because there are too many different molecules present, and in proportions that vary too much depending on the source of crude oil. Detailed lists of molecules wouldn't be so useful neither since the end user doesn't care: to burn a fuel, he just needs a few global properties rather than a detailed composition.

So it's typical for refinery processes to tell just "C8 to C10 fractions", "olefines" and "paraffines" without caring more about details. It's the best possible description and the most useful one.

Many descriptions in general chemistry books are in fact too detailed, telling some exact molecules while the process works always on complex mixes. An example is the alkylation, often described as isobutane+isobutene :rarrow: isooctane while the reaction is indirect and involves dozens of reactants and products.

Sponsored Links