April 18, 2024, 07:52:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Methyl Iodide Problems  (Read 5750 times)

Offline hairygorillaz

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Methyl Iodide Problems
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a problem with a reaction I'm running. I am using MeI, but the reaction temperature is 95 °C (give or take 5 °C or so). Even though the reaction is run in toluene and I have a reflux condenser at -20 °C, the reaction "stops" because I have no more MeI even though I use a large excess (around 20 equivalents). I have to constantly add more for the reaction to go to completion. Also, the reaction is set up under inert conditions, connected to a nitrogen line.

Any tips on how to keep low BP reactants in the reaction vessel?

Thanks in advance!

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Methyl Iodide Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:30 AM »
Use a sealed pressure flask like this (https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z567191?lang=en&region=US). A note: This is obviously somewhat dangerous, but still pretty standard. Do not fill it more than apporx 1/3 of the way. You are using toluene so the pressure won't be too high, but its still volatile. Put it behind blast shield. Heat it up slowly. Make sure you screw the cap and o-ring on right or else it will leak.

I've seen people do THF reactions at 120°C in these bad boys (and also make them explode when pushed further) so they are pretty tough. I specifically used methyl iodide to quaternize polyamines at 95°C in them, so I know it works.

You can screw it down in a box with strong nitrogen or argon pressure flowing to get "mostly" inert conditions but I don't have a method to truly exclude oxygen and water except to add reagents and assemble the flask in a glovebox. My reaction wasn't sensitive.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
Another option is to add diluted MeI dropwise (≈ 1-2 drops/sec) and work at lower temperature (say 70-75oC). This will significantly delay the reaction but it will probably work.

Offline hairygorillaz

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
Use a sealed pressure flask like this (https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z567191?lang=en&region=US). A note: This is obviously somewhat dangerous, but still pretty standard. Do not fill it more than apporx 1/3 of the way. You are using toluene so the pressure won't be too high, but its still volatile. Put it behind blast shield. Heat it up slowly. Make sure you screw the cap and o-ring on right or else it will leak.

I've seen people do THF reactions at 120°C in these bad boys (and also make them explode when pushed further) so they are pretty tough. I specifically used methyl iodide to quaternize polyamines at 95°C in them, so I know it works.

You can screw it down in a box with strong nitrogen or argon pressure flowing to get "mostly" inert conditions but I don't have a method to truly exclude oxygen and water except to add reagents and assemble the flask in a glovebox. My reaction wasn't sensitive.

I don't think the reaction is THAT sensitive, so I think this may be a solution. Thanks a lot! I'll give it a go.

Offline hairygorillaz

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:36:57 AM »
Another option is to add diluted MeI dropwise (≈ 1-2 drops/sec) and work at lower temperature (say 70-75oC). This will significantly delay the reaction but it will probably work.

The reaction already takes about 24 hours at 95 °C. So I think this may not be too feasible, but thanks a lot. No harm trying :D

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
You could use methyl triflate wich is much more reactive then MeI and you can run at lower temperature.

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »
Methyl tosylate is also an option, safer and easier to handle than MeI and certainly MeOTf.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »
Methyl tosylate is far less reactive than methyl triflate but higher boiling of course.

Offline hairygorillaz

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
Thanks guys. Couldn't change it to a triflate or tosylate, because the iodide was incorporated into the final molecule, but the sealed tube did the trick :D

Sponsored Links