April 25, 2024, 04:45:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Standard Enthalpy  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Jens__

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Standard Enthalpy
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Good evening

So I have a question about standard enthalpy. My teacher gave this example:

Calculate ΔH° of this reaction:
       2H2 +O2 --> 2H2O

And I thought it would be equal to -483.6, since that is the H°f of water times two.
But then my teacher said that I needed to devide it by two to gain the ΔH° of the reaction.

I don't understand because if there is a reaction that has two products (on the right side of the arrow) and one of them has a coefficient of 1 and the other one a coefficient of 2. Then what is the ΔH° of the reaction? Example: combusion of methane.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely
Jens

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Standard Enthalpy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:58 PM »
Welcome, Jens__!

I too would take twice the formation ΔH of water. Maybe the teacher meant something else?

By the way, always keep in mind that combustions water can be gaseous or liquid, even if given at room temperature. Not the question here, but eternal error source. Same for the combustion heat.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Standard Enthalpy
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:50:35 AM »
If you are asked for the enthalpy of a reaction, that means according to the equation as written. So that means you are right, ΔHrxn = 2ΔHf(H2O). However, you could represent exactly the same chemical reaction by the equation H2 + 0.5O2  :rarrow: H2O, for which ΔH = ΔHf(H2O). (Or indeed 436H2 + 218O2  :rarrow: 436H2O, for which...). That is why, when you talk about the enthalpy of a reaction, you must specify the equation to which ΔH applies, or the reagent for which ΔH is the enthalpy per mole.

Sponsored Links