April 20, 2024, 07:34:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why do Cl-,Br- give Sn2 with 2' alkyl halide while Sn1 with 2' alcohol ??!  (Read 5093 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I don't understand why but my textbook says that:

a secondary alkyl halide  + Br-  gives  a "Sn2 reaction"
 a secondary alcohol  + Br- gives a "Sn1 reaction"

In either  the leaving group in on a secondary carbon ...so why there is this differecne!!!

Thanks for helping!

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
What is the difference between the leaving groups?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Secondary carbons can proceed by either mechanism, depending on the conditions, which include the nature of the solvent and the leaving group.  mjc123 has pointed us in the right direction IMO.

Offline xshadow

Water better leaving group??

So the   water  can" break  the bond " and go away more easily  (before the  arrival of nucleophilic , i.e. Sn1)   ... pherhaps??

Is it correct? !

Some help,please!!
: (
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:23:50 AM by xshadow »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
@OP,

What sort of solvent would one use in a typical SN1 reaction?  What are the common conditions used to convert an alcohol into alkyl halide?

Offline xshadow

A protic solvent in a SN1 ...in order to stabilize the carbocation

In the alcohol reaction witch halide I use  HBr,for example and the alcohol itself...that works also as a solvent I think

But I don 't understand why my textbook says that secondary alcohol gives Sn1 with halide(Br- ,for example) while secondary alkyl halide with Br- gives much more SN2

I can understand that a solvent like an alcohol can help a Sn1 mechanism but why do I have  a Sn2 reaction for a seondary alkyl halide?

Why @mjc123 speaks about the difference of the leaving group?

The difference in Sn1/Sn2  in this case is due to the solvent ...or the leaving group?...I don' t understand very well
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:30:02 AM by xshadow »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
Whether a reaction proceeds by one mechanism or another is never an easy question.  With respect to SN1 versus SN2, there are several factors.  In this instance, the leaving group is neutral water, which is an indication that the reaction is done under acidic conditions.  One can say that SN1 reactions are sometimes performed under acidic conditions (and in hydroxylic solvents), whereas SN2 reactions are sometimes performed under basic conditions in polar, parotid solvents.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
My last sentence should read polar, aprotic solvents (it's amazing what autocorrect spelling will do).  Polar aprotic solvents include DMF and DMSO.  @OP What is the first step of the conversion of an alcohol to an alkyl bromide when H-Br is the source of the bromide ion?

Offline xshadow

My last sentence should read polar, aprotic solvents (it's amazing what autocorrect spelling will do).  Polar aprotic solvents include DMF and DMSO.  @OP What is the first step of the conversion of an alcohol to an alkyl bromide when H-Br is the source of the bromide ion?

The first step is the protonation of the alcohol.
Then the secondary alcohol gives Sn1
Usually  a protic solvent stabilizes the charged species ,much more. (In alkyl halide as substrate ,  they help the Sn1 mechanism)

Can you tell my why a secondary alcohol gives Sn1 while secodary alkyl halide a Sn2 ?!
Protic solvent help help the stabilization of charge species(usually help Sn1 because I have a carbocatoon and a neutral reagent),but in Sn1  with secondary alcohol  , either the reagent ,the protonted alcohol,  AND the intermediate (the carbocation,for a Sn1) are charged.
So the solvent stabilizes both!!

I need an answer  ..I 've searched everywhere but no answer why  there is this difference.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:40:12 PM by xshadow »

Offline xshadow

So is it correct?
I  need an explanation please.
Thanks.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
Re: Why do Cl-,Br- give Sn2 with 2' alkyl halide while Sn1 with 2' alcohol ??!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »
I was offline for a few days.  I think what you have written so far about protic solvents sounds basically correct.  They will stabilize the carbocation intermediate.  Let us assume that the secondary alkyl halide is dissolved in a polar, aprotic solvent and that the nucleophile is a halide salt (such as NaBr) not an acid (such as HBr).  Then what do you think the mechanism will be and why?

Offline xshadow

Sn1/Sn2 , E1/E2 exercise correction
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
HI!

Someone can tell me if this exercise is correct?
The nucleophile is CH3O-

I think  5) is wrong...because actually I've a tertiary carbon (sorry noy a secondary one) and so a Sn2 mechanism is not possible (but also a E2 is not possibile...because I have an equatorial leaving gropup)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
Re: Sn1/Sn2 , E1/E2 exercise correction
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
What made you chose E2 for question 2? With respect to cyclohexane derivatives, can they undergo ring flips?

Offline xshadow

Re: Sn1/Sn2 , E1/E2 exercise correction
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
What made you chose E2 for question 2? With respect to cyclohexane derivatives, can they undergo ring flips?

Hi

Oh yes...I see now that for 2) the answer is wrong
Perhaps is Sn2?

Because I should have:
a) a primary carbon (Sn2 is the best mechanism for this substrate)
b) strong nucleophile /base (so E2 or Sn2)

At 25 °C  I think that   cyclohexane derivatives can undergo ring flips
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:45:50 PM by xshadow »

Offline xshadow

Re: Why do Cl-,Br- give Sn2 with 2' alkyl halide while Sn1 with 2' alcohol ??!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 06:03:50 AM »
I was offline for a few days.  I think what you have written so far about protic solvents sounds basically correct.  They will stabilize the carbocation intermediate.  Let us assume that the secondary alkyl halide is dissolved in a polar, aprotic solvent and that the nucleophile is a halide salt (such as NaBr) not an acid (such as HBr).  Then what do you think the mechanism will be and why?

Hi..mee too

I think it will be a Sn2 mechanism...because I have an aprotic solvent ,that usually helps witch Sn2

But with secondaty alcohol my textbook says that there will be a Sn1 mechanism instead...now I assume this is because with alcohol i have a protic solvent (the alcohol itself)...is it correct?

Sponsored Links