April 18, 2024, 04:47:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxonium Ion  (Read 2076 times)

Offline peterschmidt3943

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxonium Ion
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »
Hello,

normally, every book describes oxonium ion as H3O+, but some say that it is normally written as H9O4+ ... why?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Oxonium Ion
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
Hydronium is a solvated proton, solvation is an equilibrium, multistep process. Technically neither of these two formulas is correct, as solutions contains several separate cations of a general formula H(H2O)n+. Determining their individual concentrations is not trivial, different approaches give different values of n for which the form dominates the solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline peterschmidt3943

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »
Hello,

could you give me an example for better visualization?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
Not sure example of what you want. Reactions taking place are basically like that:

H+ + H2O ::equil:: H3O+

H3O+ + H2O ::equil:: H5O2+

and so on, with a general form of

H(H2O)n+ + H2O ::equil:: H(H2O)n+1+

H9O4+ is just one of these forms - H(H2O)4+.

As these are equilibrium reactions all forms are present in the solution together, so there is no single correct answer to the question "what form does the H+ take in water". Valid question is "which form dominates the solution?" - but the answer depends on the acid concentration and is not easy to determine. If memory serves me well n=3,4,5 are the most often cited values.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Several H2O per H+, but in a variable number.

As the H20-H+ bond is not very strong, it is regularly broken and it forms again, so the number of H20 is only a mean value. I expect it to depend on the H+ concentration too.

Water also organizes further than the first layer of molecules around H+. Water molecules stick to an other with proper orientation even without any ion in the vicinity, and the presence of the H+ orients the molecules several layers away. This influence only gets weaker with the distance and is broken by heat more often.

So H3O+ should be understood as a mere reminder that H+ isn't alone. But it isn't more accurate than writing H+ (aq).

Sponsored Links