April 19, 2024, 05:45:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lime scale removal in pipework.  (Read 3281 times)

Offline RodneyB

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lime scale removal in pipework.
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:13 AM »
Good day

I operate a water tank cleaning service in Harare Zimbabwe.

The water source is primarily from underground boreholes.

As a result many of the installations I go to have large lime and calcium build ups.

Domestic jars of descale are not practical for flushing all the pipes in a home.

I am looking for a chemical solution that I can pump into the house reticulation system that will break it down and clean it out.

Many thanks

Rodney

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Lime scale removal in pipework.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
Depending on your pipework installation, citric acid can dissolve the calcium residues, probably also a small amount of hydrochloric acid for heavy work.

Offline RodneyB

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:41:48 AM »
Depending on your pipework installation, citric acid can dissolve the calcium residues, probably also a small amount of hydrochloric acid for heavy work.

Thank you for your help. What volume per 5000 liters of water would you recommend.

Offline chenbeier

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:10:34 AM »
I would start with 5 g/l Citric acid means for 5000 l you have to add a bag of 25 kg.  For HCl I would start with 10 l 37% w.w . But make sure you can dump and rinse very well so nobody can drink it.

Offline RodneyB

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 05:38:33 AM »
I would start with 5 g/l Citric acid means for 5000 l you have to add a bag of 25 kg.  For HCl I would start with 10 l 37% w.w . But make sure you can dump and rinse very well so nobody can drink it.

Thank you very much for your help. I will try this and then get back to you with the results.

One final question should the solution stand in the pipes or should it be flushing through. If standing, how long would you suggest I leave the water.

Offline chenbeier

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:00:46 AM »
If you can see part of the lime then watch until it is dissolved. I would leave the solution in the pipe and after dissolving flash it through. It can be in maybe 1 h but also longer depending how much you have.

Sponsored Links