April 25, 2024, 12:51:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Issues with surfactants in home products  (Read 2091 times)

Offline gasbag

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Issues with surfactants in home products
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
Firstly, I hope all of you and your loved ones had a very Merry Christmas and I wish you all the best for 2018.
Straight off the bat, I'm going to make it clear this is an odd and clumsy inquiry.

There is a particular body wash where I absolutely love the fragrance, where I'm looking to convert it into a type of cologne and/or room spray in alcohol solution.  I'd need to separate the fragrance from the surfactants, or simply defoam the mixture somehow, where anything added during the process would need to be safe for cosmetic (on-the-skin) use.  Also, I would want the final mixture to be transparent/clear, not cloudy.  I know that there are particular compounds used as defoaming agents, including some oils, but I don't know if this would be safe (non-toxic) or suitable for what I'm trying to achieve.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have on this.  I realise this inquiry is quite odd, but I would still appreciate any helpful advice anyone may have.
Thanks.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Issues with surfactants in home products
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Hmm well everything you want is probably somewhat volatile/distillable aside from the surfactants. Surfactants are almost always either charged groups or polymeric, and therefore will not get into the gas phase easily.

Sponsored Links