March 29, 2024, 08:43:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dried Sulfuric Acid - Any Danger?  (Read 8652 times)

helprequested159

Dried Sulfuric Acid - Any Danger?
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:18:20 AM »
Odd question, but I’m hoping someone can help. A handyman used a 93% sulfuric acid drain cleaner on my clogged bathtub and I’m worried that he may have unintentionally contaminated areas outside the bathroom with the cleaner.

The cleaner was used in standing water that had to be bailed out, so I’m sure some must have splashed around the bathtub and surrounding areas. However, I’m most concerned about the fans he used to ventilate my small house. He wore gloves when handling the cleaner and water it was added to, but he didn’t change he gloves when we was moving the fans around the house. In fact he used one of the fans to dry a pair of gloves before putting them back on.

Assuming the gloves had some of the 93% sulfuric acid cleaner on them, am I in any danger of the fans blowing it on furniture, upholstery, carpet, walls, etc? If the sulfuric acid did get on things and then dried, is it still dangerous if it comes into contact with skins, eyes, etc.?

Thank you.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: Dried Sulfuric Acid - Any Danger?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 02:18:41 AM »
If you have any concerns about remaining H2SO4 on your furniture, you can easily wipe it out with wet towel because it is soluble in water. You could probably see the spots on the damaged places because H2SO4 is corrosive so if it comes into contact with cloth or wood for example, you should see some black burns/spots.
Also, Im not sure from your description, but it seems that the concentrated acid was further diluted in water and then used ? I dont think you are in danger, suppose some of the diluted stuff gets on his gloves then some of it gets on your furniture, the amount of it would me very low.

I suggest next time, directly tell the handyman that you have some concerns when he does that.

If by any means you touch some of the remaining H2SO4, wash it with lots of water, see your doctor and call the company/guy that was doing the cleaning.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:07:53 AM »
Concentrated sulfuric acid is rather viscous, so it is not that easy to blow the droplets off the surface. Once it gets diluted it becomes much more "watery" and it can be blown off - but at the same time it is much, much safer.

On most surfaces you will soon see not the acid but its effects - small holes and decolorations. As much as I hate them (yes, happened to me at least twice) they are usually a signal that the acid was already neutralized and is no longer dangerous.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:24 AM »
I am wondering which cleaner to use in a bathroom contain 93% sulfuric acid. The use of it is already dangerous because if it get contact with water it gets really hot, in worse case it boils and everything splashed around.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:30:08 AM »
I am wondering which cleaner to use in a bathroom contain 93% sulfuric acid.

As far as I am aware there is nothing unusual about it. Some drain cleaners are acid based, I think it is more common in pro/heavy duty products sold to plumbers.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

helprequested159

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess my concern is what happens if I miss some of the dried sulfuric acid when wiping down furniture, walls, books, etc.? Will the dried residue burn if it comes into contact with skin?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »
Sulfuric acid is a liquid, it will not dry. For carbon based objects like furniture/walls/books, it will react with them and become inert after damaging the item.

helprequested159

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
Thanks for your help. Are there any objects the acid could stay on and still be dangerous, ie metal, plastic or leather? I feel like I can’t touch anything and am worried.

Sulfuric acid is a liquid, it will not dry. For carbon based objects like furniture/walls/books, it will react with them and become inert after damaging the item.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
metal would be the hazardous one. If you are concerned with anything, just wipe it down with some tap water.

Offline EricBoss

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
As someone pointed out, you an literally wash it all down the bath tub in the future, avoid it. It's pretty dangerous stuff. Although a common cleaner in bath tubs, there are other organic and much safer alternatives.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »
Just want to be clear here, "organic" solvents mean two very different things in chemistry vs non technical talk. An organic solvent to a chemist is something like acetone or tetrahydrofuran.

An "organic" compound in layspeak is a nebulous term that means "not artificial and unhealthy" I guess? So... water or, methanol or ethanol?

Just be careful with that term. It has an important and specific meaning in chemistry, but is ruthlessly beaten up and appropriated in the larger world.

Sponsored Links