April 24, 2024, 07:37:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility problem  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Loler

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility problem
« on: January 24, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »
Hello everyone,

This is probably pretty simple and I am just getting confused but it is not clear to me.

There is something I don't understand. The solubility of gypsum in pure water at 25°C is about 2g/L. That means, maximum concentration of 11.6 mM of Ca2+ and SO42-.

What I don't understand is when I try to calculate what the concentration of Ca2+ and SO42- would be from the solubility product constant (ksp= 2.4x10-5), I get around 5 mM of Ca2+ and SO42-. So I don't understand what's going on here, why the difference between 5 mM and 11.6 mM?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Solubility problem
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 01:39:08 AM »
What you calculated is correct.
I couldnt find an english webside of this problem.
On this german one it is mentioned.

http://www.aqion.de/site/165

At the end it says it has something to do with the activity coefficients and complesing of CaSO4(aq)

Schlußfolgerungen

Die beiden Ergebnisse unterscheiden sich deutlich voneinander:

(10a)    analytische Lösung (mit Taschenrechner):    5.1 mM
(10b)    numerische Lösung (chem. Thermodynamik):    15.6 mM

Die Ursachen für das Versagen des analytischen Lösungsansatzes liegen vor allem in zwei Punkten:

Vernachlässigung der Komplexbildung (insbesondere für CaSO4(aq))
    Vernachlässigung der Aktivitätskorrekturen (bei Ionenstärke I = 42 mM, γ = 0.48

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
That paragraph claims that for CaSO4, there is no effect by the activity coefficients
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_equilibrium#Dissolution_with_dissociation

With gypsum, crystallization water needs a small correction, which does not explain the discrepancy.

Grain size of the solid has an influence too
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0016702917010062

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
That paragraph claims that for CaSO4, there is no effect by the activity coefficients

I don't think it says anything like that, care to quote the exact statement you refer to?

Unless my back of the envelope calculations are wrong using ionic strength and activity coefficients is perfectly enough to get 11.1 mmol/L, quite close to 11.6. There are plenty of other equilibria involved, so the difference left doesn't look surprising at all.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:36:01 AM »
Did I read it improperly? Quoting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_equilibrium#Dissolution_with_dissociation
For 2:2 and 3:3 salts, such as CaSO4 and FePO4, the general expression for the solubility product is the same as for a 1:1 electrolyte
Ksp = [A][ B] = [A]2 = [ B]2
and in the table,
Salt     p     q    Solubility S
CaSO4    1     1    √Ksp

This would be a bizarre convention indeed. Have I been misled by Wiki? The CRC handbook computes Ksp from ΔG of reactions written like
Ca2(SO4)2 ::equil:: 2(Ca2+) + 2(SO4)2-
which is more consistent with salts of unsymmetrical charges, and would also answer nicely the initial question.

But here for BaSO4 and PbCrO4
https://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/Equilibrium/Solubility_Products.htm
they only write, like Wiki,
Ksp = [Ba2+][SO42-]
Ksp = [Pb2+][CrO42-]

So I'm lost. Varying conventions?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
The CRC handbook computes Ksp from ΔG of reactions written like
Ca2(SO4)2 ::equil:: 2(Ca2+) + 2(SO4)2-

Haven't seen anything like that  :o

That is: it would be OK for a compound with Ca2(SO4)2 formula, which - as far as I am aware - gypsum is not. I suppose they explain the convention and the reasoning behind somewhere.

But here for BaSO4 and PbCrO4
https://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/Equilibrium/Solubility_Products.htm
they only write, like Wiki,
Ksp = [Ba2+][SO42-]
Ksp = [Pb2+][CrO42-]

That's the way it was defined in all books I can think of.

Basically it is not different from any other equilibrium reaction, we just assume solid activity of 1, then for simple salts

AnBm ::equil:: nAm+ + mBn-

and

[tex]K_{sp} = [A^{m+}]^n[B^{n-}]^m[/tex]

(unless n and m are not coprimes, in which case coefficients become different, but it is trivial in general).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
The CRC handbook writes it over the table "Solubility product constants":
MmXn(s) ::equil:: mMn+(aq) + nXm-(aq)
without any explicit exception about m=n nor about non-trivial common divisors.
Then it goes on with ΔG for that reaction and deduces Ksp.

Is their reader supposed to understand that the equation is implicitly simplified for m=n like in CaSO4?
That would be consistent with the online Purdue paper and with the Wiki article I quoted.

Or does the CRC's table keep m and n when they are equal? I believe so, because their ΔG mentions m and n moles together with the charges, I quote:
ΔG = mΔG(Mn+,aq) + nΔG(Xm-,aq) - ΔG(MmXn,s)
and Log(Ksp) = -ΔG/(RT)
Then Ksp = [Ba2+]2[SO42-]2
which reconciles Ksp and the solubility in Loler's data (which is also the CRC's data).

So my impression is that both conventions coexist when m=n or when m and n have a non-trivial common divisor.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Is their reader supposed to understand that the equation is implicitly simplified for m=n like in CaSO4?

That would be my understanding, that's how we write reaction equations and formulas by convention - using the lowest integer coefficients.

If they go against that convention they should IMHO explicitly mention it, as it is asking for troubles.

What Ksp value do they list for BaSO4?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »
1.07×10-10 BaSO4
7.10×10-5  CaSO4
9.92×10-29 FePO4.2H2O

I just wonder about the data...  In the "Physical constants of inorganic compounds" table in the CRC hdbk, 100cm3 of cold water dissolve
0.3g  of CaSO4.1/2H2O
0.24g of CaSO4.2H2O
How is that consistent? We can't prevent dissolved CaSO4.1/2H2O from crystallizing as CaSO4.2H2O, can we?

Explicitly mention it: perhaps the author meant that mMn+(aq) + nXm-(aq) was the most unequivocal way to tell it, but an additional word of caution would have been welcome to my opinion.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
1.07×10-10 BaSO4
7.10×10-5  CaSO4

As far as I am aware these values are always quoted for the [X2+][SO42-] product.

I just wonder about the data...  In the "Physical constants of inorganic compounds" table in the CRC hdbk, 100cm3 of cold water dissolve
0.3g  of CaSO4.1/2H2O
0.24g of CaSO4.2H2O
How is that consistent? We can't prevent dissolved CaSO4.1/2H2O from crystallizing as CaSO4.2H2O, can we?

You would need nucleation for the other type of crystal to grow up, so if the thermodynamics is right (doesn't make one of them much more stable) the other may not appear.

Explicitly mention it: perhaps the author meant that mMn+(aq) + nXm-(aq) was the most unequivocal way to tell it, but an additional word of caution would have been welcome to my opinion.

Yes.

Sponsored Links