April 26, 2024, 09:34:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help setting up lab procedures to find best handwarmer  (Read 1598 times)

Offline mattroboomin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help setting up lab procedures to find best handwarmer
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
I'm in AP Chemistry and we've been starting to learn "thermochemistry." We are starting off by doing a lab where the goal is to create the most efficient hand warmer (based on effectiveness and it being inexpensive as we received the cost per 500g of each substance) with 3 different substances each mixed with 50mL of distilled water. For the 1st day, the whole class mixed 5g of MgSO4 with both 100mL and 50mL of water and measured the change of temperature. On the post-lab question we measured the qreaction and ΔHsolution. Now on the 2nd day, the lab wants us to create a procedure with 10g of 3 different substances to see which one is the best to use as a hand warmer based off the goal. I don't know how to start off the procedure so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need help setting up lab procedures to find best handwarmer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
OK.  When faced with a problem like this, the first thing to do is to set up a table, trying to set up headers for, what you know, and what you need to know.  You were given this assignment by an instructor, so they believe that you have the information you need, in class notes or text book, or can get the information.  Try to see what you need to know, and see if you can find it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links