April 26, 2024, 03:55:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding charges on periodic table?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline PeaceLoveGlitter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Finding charges on periodic table?
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
Hey all,
I am taking my chemistry exam this Monday, and was told that I would receive a list of the possible charges for each transition metal on my periodic table (like how zinc is always plus 2 but silver is plus 1 and iron can have more than one combining valence...). Looking at the exam prep table though, I have no idea where to find this, or if its even there at all! I am thinking its the numbers in black along side the element, but I'm not sure. I have attached the photo, and appreciate any and all assistance :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Finding charges on periodic table?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »
And what is oxidation state?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline PeaceLoveGlitter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
To be honest, I'm not sure. We didn't go over oxidization state in my course....

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 03:20:19 AM »
Google it then.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
It seems like this particular periodic table does have the most common charge states for elements inside the little black box on the side.  If this is an "open table" akin to an "open book" exam, then you can use it.  Which is fair, that's the whole point of a periodic table, to have a reference that you can use when you need it.

Note: this isn't the most complete, most definitive source of charge states for each element.  And for the transition metals, there's no way to infer what to expect just by looking at their position.  As an example, zinc can behave like mercury, and exist as a +1 state, in certain complexes.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links