April 24, 2024, 07:18:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to add chromophore group in cyclo hexane amine and cyclo hexane alchohole?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline PRAGATI1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What can be added to cyclohexane amine or alchohol as a chromophoric group?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Amidation or esterification with 4-methoxycinnamic acid, respectively that lead to a strong UV absorption at ≈ 300 nm.

Offline PRAGATI1

do i need to give heat? i want to add chromophore group at RT or by vortexing?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
1). Yes, you need to heat.
2). If you do not want to heat, just dissolve your amine or your alcohol with benzoic anhydride in dichloromethane, at 1/1.1 molar ratio and “vortex” it for 2 h at room temperature and then add aqueous NaOH or aqueous KOH at 1.5 molar ratio and shake it for a few minutes. The organic phase (the bottom layer) contains the benzoate derivative, which absorbs at ≈ 270-280 nm.
Hint: wear safety glasses, while working and take care of possibly exothermic reactions.   

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
For the cyclohexylamine, a huge variety of dyes come as NHS esters. They will react almost immediately and quantitatively with amines at room temperature, and can be separated by simple liquid/liquid extraction or a quick column. I would choose a dye that has poor water solubility to make for easier purification.

Offline PRAGATI1

thank you that would work as i need to simply attach a molecule for identification under UV.

Sponsored Links