April 19, 2024, 12:42:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Same pH with increasing concentration  (Read 2681 times)

Offline arcinus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Same pH with increasing concentration
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
I was measuring the pH of 5 samples of 10-50mgkg-1 Na2S2O5 and was hoping to find some linearity in their pH values. However my results came in the form as:
10=3.4
20=4.1
30=3.2
40=4.1
50=4.2

On face value this means to me that the pH of Na2S2O5 is independent of the quantity added. Would this be the correct assumption to make?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Same pH with increasing concentration
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »
Since you have a table of data, you can chart it, and also perform  a number of statistical tests on your data.  FWIW, there's no harm in your conclusion, but why not use statistics to see just how correct you are?  Or to what extant you're not able to make your statement?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline arcinus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »
the problem I have is that I'm being employed to make what is basically a computer simulation of a boiler system. The output of the pH value that I acquire effects the model substantially as it is involved in multiple processes in the model. Could you think of a reason why this is happening?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »
Have you validated your pH measurement procedure?
I.e., if you make the same solution five times, and measure pH, what kind of consistency do you get?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
Strange. I am not going to pretend I have ever worked with Na2S2O5, but it looks like a salt of a weak acid (even if wiki says H2S2O5 actually doesn't exist, and says nothing about Ka values), so I would expect the solution to be slightly alkaline, not acidic.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links