March 28, 2024, 08:45:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Diazonium salt foam production problem (Balz-Schiemann)  (Read 2517 times)

Offline levis123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Diazonium salt foam production problem (Balz-Schiemann)
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
This was my attempt in a Balz-Schiemann reaction.

In a three neck round bottom flask containing HCl i added a thermometer, a dropping funnel and a powder funnel. The flask was cooled in an ice bath. I slowly added some amount of m-phenylenediamine through the powder funnel. Then, I added drop-wise some aqueous sodium nitrite solution through the dropping funnel. I was careful not to add the reagents too fast. The temperature did not exceed 7 Celsius.

The problem that occurred was that the reaction started to produce massive amounts of foam. The flask overflowed. I tried to make room for the gas to come out but it did not work. I decided to transfer the solution into a beaker. I had to use a lot of water to get all of it out. By this time I had about 5 times more foam than solution.

I added some fluoroboric acid to the solution hoping that i would save the reaction but no crystals were formed. So, I poured the mixture into a crystallizing dish and left it there overnight, hoping that the water will evaporate and i will be left with some benzenediazonium tetrafluoroborate.

Any thoughts?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Diazonium salt foam production problem (Balz-Schiemann)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Most online sources suggest that this substance is very slightly soluble in water.  So you should have it, if the process hasn't lost it.  This seems likely, since its not very stable.  And lucky, because its explosive.  So win-win.  Try again with a large vessel, if you believe you can handle the substance safely.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline levis123

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »
Thank you. Producing foam was not mentioned in the patent so I was worried I did something wrong.

I will probably try again using a large beaker so that the gas has a way out.

One more thing, I am not sure what solvent should I use to recrystallize it?

Offline levis123

Decomposition of diazonium salt
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
I want to produce difluorobenzene by thermal decomposition of benzenediazonium fluoroborate. I am following an Organic Sytheses patent DOI : 10.15227/orgsyn.0130046 .

The salt is obviously a solid and when i heated it decomposes to the wanted liquid. I am not sure why the procedure says that three flasks are needed for this. Why shouldnt I just heat the solid in a round-bottomed flask?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Decomposition of diazonium salt
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
Why shouldnt I just heat the solid in a round-bottomed flask?

Because it might explode and blow your hands off.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:58 AM »
Why dont you just buy it? Sigma has 10g for like 100 euro

Sponsored Links