April 23, 2024, 04:22:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Wine chemical analysis  (Read 2264 times)

Offline dgt20

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Wine chemical analysis
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:57 AM »
For my report im researching the science/chemistry behind wine. What are the steps in determining the alcohol, pH level and sugar content in wine/grapes? Also can the acidity of wine be found through titration by using NaOH?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Wine chemical analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
Greetings, dgt20:, I'd like to welcome you and everyone new to the Chemical Forums,  but I want to ask you to review our Forum Rules{click}.  You already accepted the rules when you signed up for our forum, and you have to follow them, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.

We want to see you do some work, on your own, and we'll help.  We don't dump complete answers, not for anyone, not for a high school student, nor a hard-working professional, nor even the home chemist working on their newest invention.

For my report im researching the science/chemistry behind wine.

OK.  You've been given an assignment, and this is your selected topic.  We know you're in a class, and that class expects you to learn something.  And possibly execute what you've learned.

What are the steps in determining the alcohol, pH level and sugar content in wine/grapes?

What do you know, about these concepts?  What have you read about them?  How are they tested in general, and what challenges does wine testing entail?

Also can the acidity of wine be found through titration by using NaOH?

Yes.  This is commonly done.  Wine has been made for centuries, by craftsmen.  Now that wine is a world-wide business, much advanced science is in place to understand whats being made.  Many people make their own wine at home, or microbrew as in the case of beer, and perform several tests on their own.

Please try to read up on the subject at least a little bit.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links