April 25, 2024, 01:43:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to know equilibrium direction for keto-enol tautomerisms?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline smghz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
How to know equilibrium direction for keto-enol tautomerisms?
« on: February 21, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
I've been trying to know why, for example, the enol of cyclohexanone is not favored, when the enol of 1,3-cyclohexanedione is favored. Isn't the alpha hydrogen in both cases getting acidified? My professor said that for the latter, "positioning the second carbonyl in a 1,3 relationship with the other carbonyl greatly acidifies the proton on the central carbon". But I don't understand that statement very well, and don't see how it's unique only to 1,3-cyclohexanedione.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: How to know equilibrium direction for keto-enol tautomerisms?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
It seems to me that you are asking two separate (although not entirely unrelated questions).  One, what governs the equilibrium in ketone-enol tautomerizations.  Two, why are 1,3-dicarbonyls more acidic than say 1,4 dicarbonyls.  The second question involves the potential loss of a proton and is governed by the pKa, but the first question does not imply the loss of a proton.  Is that correct?

Offline smghz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: How to know equilibrium direction for keto-enol tautomerisms?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Exactly, I mean, I see an enol formed in both cases with the loss of one proton. Why does the flanking of the alpha hydrogen by two carbonyl groups make it that much more likely for an enol to form, relative to a molecule that has only a single carbonyl group?

Sponsored Links