April 25, 2024, 06:17:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with identifying class of molecules and type of reaction?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline indot05

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0

I would love some help in identifying the general class of compounds these molecules fall in, as well as the general type of reaction that is occurring.  I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything that I'm sure of.  Thanks! I'm not sure how to post pictures appropriately, so I just linked to the imgur upload.  If anyone can inform me how I'd be happy to edit the post.

Edit: got the image to work :)
Edit2: Got the information I need! a mod can delete or lock this thread :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:27:51 PM by indot05 »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Help with identifying class of molecules and type of reaction?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
I'm not sure this is a well defined class of compounds or a named reaction. The first reaction is a condensation reaction between boron trichloride and amines to give a boramide, and the second reaction is a gives the boronic ester dimer of the boramide.

Could you tell us where the source material is for this? Perhaps one of us can use it to do some sleuthing you might not be able to do.

Offline indot05

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
At least this post makes me feel a little better with my confusion, as I've been thinking the same thing you said.  These are a class of molecules I've been conducting research on during my undergraduate studies.  I've been focused on the synthesis portion, but they are proposed to be used as redox mediators (although we've just started to get into testing their properties through cyclic voltammetry).  The only source I was given at the start of the research was this paper by Hill Harmon: NHC-Stabilized Boranthrene as a Metal-Free Platform for the Activation
of Small Molecules
Jordan W. Taylor, Alex McSkimming, Camilo F. Guzman, and W. Hill Harman*
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Riverside, California 92521, United States

As well as a previous lab notebook detailing the synthesis
If you're wondering what I need the info for, I emailed my professor and asked him to help me summarize these reactions and class of molecules for updating my resume.  And he wasn't much help so I came here for answers.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:23:14 PM by indot05 »

Offline hypervalent_iodine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
I can't much help with the chemistry, but I would strongly recommend not posting your group's lab notes on public forums. You could be violating a whole lot of IP by doing that.

Sponsored Links