March 28, 2024, 04:32:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determination of the content of a mixture of solid materials  (Read 3597 times)

Offline micky

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determination of the content of a mixture of solid materials
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »
Hello everyone!

Does anyone of you know how to determine the content of EACH compound in the mixture: CaCO3, Ca(OH)2 and a moisture?

If someone does, I'd love you to explain me how to do it :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Determination of the content of a mixture of solid materials
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »
You have to show your attempts before receiving help, this is a forum policy.

Many ways to skin that cat, depending on what you know, so there is no one, general answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline micky

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
I'm not sure whether it is a good way but I would use acid-base titration using two indicators. I'd take hydrochloric acid with phenolphthalein and I could titrate calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate and next I can add methyl orange and continue the titration of the remaining part of CaCO3. Nevertheless, like I said it is just my wild guess.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
You have guess upon the typical method.  There may be others depending on how many sample you have, and to what level you need the answer.  There is also a quite famous titration method for moisture.  Its a tricky procedure, using specialized equipment, and again, we need to know -- how good of an answer do you need and why, and what your technical level is.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline micky

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »
Okay. I've got both CaCO3 and Ca(OH)2 in the amount of macro (quite a lot). I think the best way to determine the contents is by using a classic analysis (titrations etc.) Is there any better classical way to determine it (than the one I have mentioned)? If not, how should I start the procedure of determining it in the way I've mentioned? Should I dissolve CaCO3 and Ca(OH)2 first in something? If yes, what should I dissolve it in?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
CaCO3 solubility is quite low (Ksp around 3×10-9), so while the Warder method sounds plausible in principle, it will be probably impossible to do.

I would try total calcium (after dissolving sample in HCl) and separately Ca(OH)2 in filtrate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline micky

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
But how can you separate Ca(OH)2 from CaCO3? Both of them after dissolving will be in a solution.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »
I would use thermogravimetric analysis. Your components decompose at significantly different temperatures.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »
But how can you separate Ca(OH)2 from CaCO3? Both of them after dissolving will be in a solution.

Ca(OH)2 is much more soluble, so - if the sample mass and volume are carefully selected - it can be possible to dissolve just the hydroxide, leaving CaCO3 as a solid; I can be wrong though.

Sponsored Links