March 28, 2024, 05:00:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vapour pressure mercury  (Read 3790 times)

Offline owlpower

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Vapour pressure mercury
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »
Q: Mercury is made by roasting cinnabar in quicklime at 600oC and then condensation of the released mercury vapor. Calculate the vapor pressure of the condensed mercury at 300oC given that heat of vaporization of mercury is 296J/g and the vapor pressure of mercury at 25.0oC is 2.56 X 10-3 torr. How many atoms of mercury are present in mercury vapour at 300oC if the reaction is conducted in a closed 15L container?

Hi all, please offer some tips on solving this question. I have been spending a long time on it to no avail.
I used PV = nRT to calculate mols of Mercury, from 25oC,15L and 2.56 X 10-3 torr. From there, I simple used the n value to calculate P again with the temperature at 300oC but apparently I am wrong.

Furthermore, what is the use of 296J/g? I am unable to link it to the question.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Vapour pressure mercury
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »
How do you determine the vapor pressure above a liquid at temperature 2 when you know it at temperature 1?

(Hint: you assume the heat of vaporization is independent of temperature).
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Dirac

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
You should think about phase equilibrium:

1) Which are the phases in equilibrium?

2) Which equation relates the pressure with temperature in the phase equilibrium context?

Offline owlpower

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
How do you determine the vapor pressure above a liquid at temperature 2 when you know it at temperature 1?

(Hint: you assume the heat of vaporization is independent of temperature).

I do not really know how I should use the heat of vapourisation, but my guess is from 2.065x10^-6 mols of Hg, I multiply by 200.59 to get 4.14x10^-4g?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
Look up Claudius Clapeyron equation.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links